Good Articles

13»

Comments

• Trump isn't of the far right. He's more liberal than any of the post WWII Republican presidents. That's leaving Bush II out of the analysis. Bush II is a progressive--as opposed to a liberal--who made some religious noises for political reasons. Bush II should be considered in the line of progressive warmongers that include Wilson and FDR.

Really, the vast majority of Republicans are in the mushy middle. There are almost no viable political leaders on the traditional right.

Then you have the Democrats who are dividing between liberals and progressives. (The fatally flawed left-right spectrum is badly breaking down here.) Most of the noise in academia and the press is coming out of the progressives these days, with the traditional liberals keeping their heads down and their mouths shut. The progressives are convinced of the correctness of their positions -- both factually and morally -- and they will not tolerate any dissension. They are reactively authoritarian and will severely punish anyone who disagrees with them.

On the far left (and I'm wincing even as I use the metaphor) they have donned black shirts and taken to the streets in a revival of fascism. And yes, fascists have always been of the left. One of the great victories of the Frankfurt School's Cultural Marxism and its critical theory is in convincing academia and the press that fascists were of the far right. The fascist worship of the state is a linear extrapolation of progressivism.

• Ooh boy, another "X and Y aren't useful labels, don't map well to reality, and have no accepted definitions, but here's a bunch of things I strongly believe about Xists and Yists" hoedown. Yeehaw!

Meanwhile on the planet earth, the obvious label for Trump is apolitical. He doesn't ally himself or form enemies based on policy, he chooses policies according to his allies and enemies. Nonetheless, it's clearly true that people who consider themselves "far right", or are popularly labeled that way, correlate to Trump supporters and allies. To deny that would be bizarre.

• The third remarkable thing about Cohen’s plea was its substance. The president of the United States’ personal lawyer admitted to lying to Congress about the president’s business activities with a hostile foreign power, in order to support the president’s story. In any rational era, that would be earthshaking. Now it’s barely a blip. Over the past two years, we’ve become accustomed to headlines like “President’s Campaign Manager Convicted of Fraud” and “President’s Personal Lawyer Paid for Adult Actress’s Silence.” We’re numb to it all. But these are the sorts of developments that would, under normal circumstances, end a presidency.

Three Remarkable Things About Michael Cohen's Plea

• Medical Cannabis Laws and Opioid Analgesic Overdose Mortality in the United States, 1999-2010

The United States is collectively mad, but we do show occasional glimmers of sanity. My state, Michigan, legalized cannabis last election.

• Now we just need the Federal Gov't to reclassify it. That is unlikely to happen during the current administration, however.

Being schedule I leaves people open to Federal prosecution even if they aren't challenged by their state/municipal police.

• edited February 14

I doubt if Trump would spend any political capital on the issue, but I also doubt he would veto it if Congress passed such a law.

• "One thing that every late-stage ruling class has in common is a high tolerance for mediocrity" begins the author, in a presumed reference to his own time as a contestant on Dancing with the Stars :neutral: