Good Articles

2»

Comments

• Report finds cases of STDs reach all-time high in California

One of the interviewees for the article says the solution is better sex education. I'm skeptical. Do you expect them to learn sex education when they won't learn anything else?

• It's a pretty pessimistic view to assert that the youth of California are incapable of learning... and pretty defeatist to assert that it's not worth educating someone, because they probably won't learn anything...

• edited May 16

I didn't say you shouldn't try. I questioned the probability of it working. A good size fraction of the country never masters the three Rs.

Assuming that education isn't going to work, what is the solution?

• What's the cognitive bias for when someone argues against something on the grounds that it's imperfect, even though everything else is too?
  • You're missing the point. Drug resistant STIs are increasing. This is a problem. There is no evidence that the proposed solution is going to solve the problem. Even a large percentage of gay men are again barebacking.

I'm just giving those interested something to think about. In the near future there is a good chance that the death rate from all STIs combined is going to be larger than the AIDs crisis. Using the numbers from this Wikipedia article, I roughly estimate that a bit less than .6 percent of the U.S. population either has HIV or has died from it.

Consider that about .75 of the California population currently has either chlamydia, gonorrhea, or syphilis, and all three diseases are becoming resistant to antibiotics. I suppose that researchers will eventually figure out how to combat them with phages, but in the meantime things might get grim.

• If you google a chart of HIV incidence by year in the US, it shoots up and then shoots back down again. What caused the sharp decrease? Was it phages?

• @Bill said:
    I didn't say you shouldn't try. I questioned the probability of it working. A good size fraction of the country never masters the three Rs.

I then retract only my second point.

• edited May 18

Anyhoo I wouldn't worry to much about a resurgence of STDs, we have smart people in charge and they probably know what they're doing.

• @fenomas said:
    If you google a chart of HIV incidence by year in the US, it shoots up and then shoots back down again. What caused the sharp decrease? Was it phages?

Some people can learn, but the ability is variable.

• "...And some, I assume, are nice people"
  • Indeed. Someone found them nice enough to give them a dose of the clap.

• edited May 20
    Sex without a condom is more exciting? More likely to have any kind of sex with someone who's attractive? Wowee!

Responding to the bareback article:

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/02/24/gay-men-barebacking-study_n_4848686.html
  • Well, not an article per se... but it mentions California STDs and also tells me that I'm going to die young due to my sleeping habits. (statistically).

http://www.cracked.com/article_25608_california-gets-stds-other-breaking-health-news.html

• @Clme said:
    tells me that I'm going to die young due to my sleeping habits. (statistically).

http://www.cracked.com/article_25608_california-gets-stds-other-breaking-health-news.html

That one needs a correlation is not causation warning.