Steaming Ass

Comments

• Love the Onion.

The motive thing with the Las Vegas shooter creeps me the fuck out. There are a LOT of conspiracy theories about the cause of that shooting (Most are 'anti NRA' conspiracy theories, since anti-gun advocates apparently want a bunch of people to die). That said, no one being able to even give an educated guess on the motive is... well.. it almost makes one gravitate towards the conspiracies.

I really wish that the Las Vegas motive story had more legs. But the twitterer in chief always gets the front page.

• Eek. That is creepy.

• That is a varsity beatdown.

• This is my favorite part of the article.

Clayton Valley Charter High School — home of the Ugly Eagles

The video was good too.

I didn't think it was going to turn out that way considering how she started out with the wild punch-slaps. But that was an impressive bit of footwork, in the end. Only a cheerleader could keep their balance when overextending like that. :-)

• Good God! I have enough to feel guilty about.

• @Bill said:
    Good God! I have enough to feel guilty about.

This isn't a new issue, and certainly not isolated to anti-depressants.

This, from 2010: http://content.time.com/time/specials/packages/article/0,28804,1976909_1976907_1976871,00.html

With big pharma's ongoing goal of having everyone in America on a pill for something, it imagine this only getting worse.

• I've heard before about estrogen getting into the water, but the antidepressant news is new to me.

• edited October 2018

Antibiotics, caffeine, steroids, birth control, etc...

I remember reading about micro-traces of Prozac being detected in certain water reservoirs (New York?) back in the 1990s. Some of those stories reinforced early rules in some areas requiring doctors and pharmacies being required to take unused meds for proper disposal, although that was determined to be a minor issue compared to non-metabolized material.

Here is a story from 2004 specifically about Prozac:
    https://www.webmd.com/depression/news/20040810/prozac-in-drinking-water-likely-so#1

Even in the 2004 story they mention a deficiency in sewage treatment being an issue. I'm not sure how much that has improved.

• I remember it being a thing years ago, in reference to flushing unused medications... The idea that active medication ingredients being excreted by people are also contributing to an environmental problem is a newer problem to me.

• So, is weis all right?

• What, Weis go out late on a Saturday when there is church in the morning?

Anyway... Just a note about that article in particular: I can't trust anything Mike Cernovich is associated with or 'reporting'. He has flat out fabricated so much shit [Pizzagate & other Pedophile rings] that its difficult to even trust things he backs up with other people's tweets/video.

For example, on this one he (or the person borrowing his data) fails to mention the weapons that the "Patriot Prayer" and Proud Boys groups were reported to have been carrying well before the brawl.

Other reports show that the larger protest had split up into smaller groups, and that fights were breaking out amongst many of the groups. No telling who 'started' it. But lots of pummeling on both sides, with batons, fists, and even... bear spray? I know they mentioned pepper spray but the local newspaper mentioned 'bear spray'.

Things are going to keep getting messy in any case. I believe the Proud Boys have two more events scheduled in the near future, and the counter-protesters in Oregon and Washington are just as willing to throw down as they are. I guess the snowflakes really have turned into a mob.

• edited October 2018

I've experienced this thrill more than once, but it hasn't gotten old yet: My first calculator, which I received for Christmas 1976, had a memory that could store a single number and a square root key in addition to the standard arithmetic functions. It might have had a percent button, too. I can't remember.

It cost thirty-some 1976 dollars. Call it 35 bucks back then, worth roughly 150 bucks now.

For years, you have been able to get the equivalent calculator for free. I saw one in Dollar General yesterday priced a symbolic dollar.

It still gave me that gosh-wow experience.

Edit: I might be mis-remembering slightly. IIRC, it was a enough like this TI-1200 that it might have been one. So the price might have been 25 bucks rather the 35 bucks. It might also have been the Christmas of 1975 rather than 1976. Differences of no consequence.

• edited October 2018

I still remember how cool it was at some point in early grade school when I was given a ruler that had a built in calculator. I took it to show and tell. I got sad when it stopped working. That would have been... 1983? 1984?

My grandmother bought a calculator in the mid-1970s and refused to ever get a different one. She would talk about how much she spent on that old 9v calculator with the red LED display, and how "worth it" having a calculator was at the time, before all these cheap ones came on the market.

I didn't think anything of it in the early 80's. The tiny buttons, thickness, numbers you could only see at a certain angle, and the on-off switch on the side didn't seem strange yet. As time went on, I could definitely vouch for its durability but it began to look strange when compared to thin solar (and 'faux solar') powered models.

Its still sitting in her old kitchen. I'm not sure if anyone still uses it, since my grandfather rarely sits out there. But now and then I turn it on and futz with it, just for the memory. Someone makes sure to change the battery every few years.

• Well, that's new. Can't say I've ever come across that while brush clearing or tree trimming.

Hollow tree?

• It beats me. I suggest exorcism.

• Was reading about tranquilizers of the 1950s today and came across this gem...

In the years after World War II, penicillin was in short supply because it was so difficult to make and store: doctors would collect urine from patients who took the antibiotic so that the drug could be captured and reused.

• I've read that before. I'm suspicious. It sounds like one of those things that might be true but is too good to be real. (I'm still bummed that the vibrator wasn't really created by doctors to treat hysteria more efficiently.)

• Ditto on the vibrator. On the other hand, at least that means that someone probably still made it with pleasure in mind.

My source were articles on PBS and Smithsonianmag. They had links to other articles that contained footnotes and even a bibliography, but I didn't pursue it further. :-)

• Well, that gives it some more support.

• Vibrators are a social construct.

• @fenomas said:
    Vibrators are a social construct.

Certainly in the sense that there are edge cases and the concept is a fuzzy set. Women, and doubtless some men, have been using electric toothbrushes and washing machines as sex toys for a long time.

• So you're saying vibrators don't exist? I have to disagree.

• Clem looks suspiciously at his electric toothbrush
    "Did you talk? You talked didn't you?"
    Toothbrush says nothing
    "I'm watching you, toothbrush."