PenIs Forum
  General Discussion
  New Penis Design submitted (Page 1)

profile | register | preferences | faq | search

This topic is 2 pages long:   1  2  next newest topic | next oldest topic
Author Topic:   New Penis Design submitted
FaRaN
Member with a member bigger than the member with a member
posted 03-26-2001 07:08     Click Here to See the Profile for FaRaN   Click Here to Email FaRaN     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Alrighty boys and girls.
I've been secretly working on a new design, and here is the first draft:

http://www.iloop.nl/penis

I hope you like it all, and maybe we all can make some suggestions te make it even prettier.

Now to the obvious:

- Yes, I cannot code shit. This is all made in a WYSIWYG editor. I'm a designer, not a coder. The peniscrew has to put it in fens system anyway, so... they can clean it up, if all goes well

- I personally like the colorcombi. Any other suggestions are always welcome, and we can test it. Exept for ugly purple and ugly fonts.

- Please give some GOOD suggestions, not like: "change the color dude" or "change the logo". (Yes, like I did)
Tell me what font or color or size or anything.

- The logo can ofcourse made all flashy. I didn't get to that one. I'll try to make one soon. Or maybe you can?
The font is Helvetica Neue Heavy Extended.
I can provide it if you want.

- The links DO NOT WORK. This is just a design, with some tekst.
Clicking links will result in blank pages.

- I probably forgot something more, but I will be nicely helped by you critics probably.

- Ohw Yeah. DO NOT try to view this with Netscape. It will be all fucked up. Yes, netscape sucks. This ofcourse will be solved later on.

Hope you like it all.

FaRaN

[This message has been edited by FaRaN (edited 03-26-2001).]

IP: Logged

Jimbo
1 dr3w j00 4 p1ggy!

posted 03-26-2001 07:43     Click Here to See the Profile for Jimbo   Click Here to Email Jimbo     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
The continuing use of white-on-light-gray and white-on-light-orange makes my penis itch.

And not in a good way.

Other than that, it's a clean and functional design.

FaRaN
posted 03-26-2001 07:56     Click Here to See the Profile for FaRaN   Click Here to Email FaRaN     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
What the yellow on purple in these buttons here are soothing?

I'll try some other colorcombi's later...

MrSelfdestruct
Member with a member
posted 03-26-2001 10:20     Click Here to See the Profile for MrSelfdestruct   Click Here to Email MrSelfdestruct     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Like the new design, however, I have always been a fan of a header with the site title. I don't know if I like the title on the side like that.

That is just me being conservative

Londart

"It is unpleasantly like being drunk"
"What is so unpleasant about being drunk?"
"Ask a glass"

psyci
Gr4ph1c4l P3nn3r
posted 03-26-2001 11:18     Click Here to See the Profile for psyci     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
I like it a lot.

Here's everything helpful I can come up with:

- The Messageboard should definitely be in the main table of contents on the left, instead of hidden on the right, since it seems like such an important part of the site.

- The white-on-orange text doesn't work. Neither does the orange-on-gray text. They're not very visible, and you have to take into account monitors with low contrast values (which would make the titles invisible). Make them higher contrast (perhaps making the gray background darker, or the white text black? not sure).

- The left side title is too big - it cuts the buttons off on the side. I'm running at 1152x864 and it's cut off. Probably should make the site viewable at 640x480, ugly as that is. If the left frame is made in flash, it would scale everything though.

That's all I can see at the moment.

I might try my hand at a design too, if I'm feeling energetic.

FaRaN
posted 03-26-2001 11:35     Click Here to See the Profile for FaRaN   Click Here to Email FaRaN     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Great tips psyci

- gonna work on a scalable flash title (great tip)
- the location of links and such are not important yet, it's just a design. If it is all ok, we're gonna clean up the efficiency of it all. Thnx anyway.
- Ahw common guys, the colors are great! A little living on the edge I like. Even when I put my contrast on max/min it is perfectly visible!
I'll make a more easier color combination tommorow. I'll let you 'standard' guys know

MrSelfdestruct
Conservative is sooooooo eighties! )

psyci
Gr4ph1c4l P3nn3r
posted 03-26-2001 14:35     Click Here to See the Profile for psyci     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Here's somethin' I drew up in case you're interested.

I'm thinking the monitor on the right could display different images depending on the story - like the slashdot icons. They're not hard to make, I'd be happy to do it.

[This message has been edited by psyci (edited 03-26-2001).]

eod
TREAT MERIGHT!
posted 03-26-2001 14:54     Click Here to See the Profile for eod   Click Here to Email eod     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Wow guys.. Kicking Ass.. Both ya'll (psyci and FaRaN)..

I like the coloring that psyci did for the posts also.

The idea of the logo on the left is cool but it cannot be done in a frame.. You'd have to have your resolution way to high to view it. Ditching the frame and shrinking it down a bit, maybe throwing some stuff up around the top.. Hmmm.. yes... Hmmm..

I likey..

[This message has been edited by eod (edited 03-26-2001).]

nuentoter
Hey look at me I got arrested for selling warez......... SIKE!! I'm a sneaky fuck
posted 03-26-2001 16:21     Click Here to See the Profile for nuentoter   Click Here to Email nuentoter     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
a coupel suggestions:

on the left side dont use fram make it resizable but i think viewable at least 800x600
if your res is lower than that you shouldnt be viewing a techie site

also on the right scale it just a bit and make it so it doesnt scroll with the main page, cuz that kinda bugs me a bit

also it would be a cool thing if someone could make a flash thing with the penismightier banner on the left so it interacts with mouseovers, thats the kinda shit i play with while things load on my slow ass 56k dialup (thats all they offer around here)

FaRaN
posted 03-26-2001 16:45     Click Here to See the Profile for FaRaN   Click Here to Email FaRaN     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
NO stuff on the top. That's the whole idea of the design. Otherwise I could just make the logo horizontal. Penis must be different in at least some ways...

psyci:
I agree, great post layout. I'll apply it tomorrow.
We have to watch it doesn't go too much http://www.voodooextreme.com/ though...

- The Icon thingy is just too /.
I'll figure out a variant, like a 16x16 icon in front of every post.

- The logo will probably be all flashy and stuff, don't worry.
- Gonna scale down the right a bit. Can't be small as of all the cams, links, etc. Like the current site.
- No frames version like Eod suggested.
- expect it to be on http://www.iloop.nl/penis2/

Well, that;s it. Thank you for the positive replies for now. Hope it will keep this way.

I'll let you know when v2 is online girls!

grz FaRaN

[This message has been edited by FaRaN (edited 03-26-2001).]

psyci
Gr4ph1c4l P3nn3r
posted 03-26-2001 17:18     Click Here to See the Profile for psyci     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
I'm gonna have to disagree on the icons... I think that they're not iconic like slashdots, and the style (faded on monitors) makes them different enough so that the site won't look like slashdot...

Plus, not many E/N sites use storymarkers of that sort (that I know of). It'd make it a little more similar to slashdot, but look a lot less like other E/N sites.

I've seen 16x16 icons used before the posts on www.desktopian.org (they've gone through various changes over time) and I've found that it makes the site look shoddy. Slashdot's method is tried and true.

But, these are of course my opinions. Flame me as you see fit.

What do all the rest of you (people who aren't me or faran) think about icons/storymarkers? Got an opinion for us to put to use?

(By the way, added to the graphic shown above to include two more)

eod
TREAT MERIGHT!
posted 03-26-2001 17:27     Click Here to See the Profile for eod   Click Here to Email eod     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Psyci, I really like the story markers. Infact the way you made the test posting structure layout is perfect, I'm thinking we should go with that. I like the marker to the right, and the monitor with different images.

They could either be story markers or they could just be a visual reference/graphic to represent who is posting. The monitor could be clickable taking the reader to that one person's staff page.

psyci
Gr4ph1c4l P3nn3r
posted 03-26-2001 17:56     Click Here to See the Profile for psyci     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Here's a full design for ya'

Let me know what you guys think.

The bottom right corner monitor would be for the link of the instant; not sure how to get the catchy slogans in (I love those). Those two things I'm honestly not sure how to get working right yet. Any ideas?

[This message has been edited by psyci (edited 03-26-2001).]

eod
TREAT MERIGHT!
posted 03-26-2001 18:33     Click Here to See the Profile for eod   Click Here to Email eod     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
I like it psyci but with that design we are hitting the same problem with clutter. Whats wrong with putting some stuff up at the top? It's a great place for a main menu and title/random quotes/random link

Jimbo
1 dr3w j00 4 p1ggy!

posted 03-26-2001 18:35     Click Here to See the Profile for Jimbo   Click Here to Email Jimbo     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
1. I intensely dislike the times new roman font used for the base text

2. I wish to have hot, sticky sexual congress with everything else in that screenshot. Including the monitor icons. I like the monitor icons. I wish I'd thought of the monitor icons. Damn!

Jimbo
1 dr3w j00 4 p1ggy!

posted 03-26-2001 18:38     Click Here to See the Profile for Jimbo   Click Here to Email Jimbo     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Oh yeah, and I agree with eod, there's no reason to have NOTHING on the top of the page - headers generally go there for a reason, it's where people look for identifying information.

Now, if you could come up with some way to rotate the banners 90 degrees and stick them in the damn sidebar...

heh.

Actually, that's another good question to ask: where do the ad banners go? As long as PenIs sucks up the free Bla-Bla hosting, they're gonna have to have 'em.

zippy
posted 03-26-2001 19:41     Click Here to See the Profile for zippy   Click Here to Email zippy     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
the post icons definitly do get my vote. they're Swankalicious. I think it might be more appropriate to have each poster use a unique icon because the post topics on penismightier are much too varied to be able to easily relate to one icon or the other.

the top of the page is where certain things (like the random quotes) belong, although i do like the penismightier logo along the left. it's refreshing enough that it appeals to me.

there also really shouldnt be anything of great importance along the bottom of the page, whether it's in a seperate frame or not. it makes the screen look much too crowded, i think.

the message board link probably should be made one of the main links on the left, as this community is just amazing.

i'm excited. are you excited? ooooh, you ARE excited. down boy!

eod
TREAT MERIGHT!
posted 03-26-2001 19:59     Click Here to See the Profile for eod   Click Here to Email eod     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Yeah lets avoid putting stuff at the bottom besides the normal, banner ad and disclaimer info. Wait we don't have a disclaimer.. but I'd like to have one..

I also agree with zippy that our topics are way to varied and nutty.

StickyLoad
Great Gobs of Cream
posted 03-26-2001 21:10     Click Here to See the Profile for StickyLoad   Click Here to Email StickyLoad     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
I have a suggestion for the site. How about a chat room?

eod
TREAT MERIGHT!
posted 03-26-2001 21:41     Click Here to See the Profile for eod   Click Here to Email eod     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Well we have an IRC room that nobody goes to. I was planning on plugging it some more when we did the redesign.

psyci
Gr4ph1c4l P3nn3r
posted 03-26-2001 22:24     Click Here to See the Profile for psyci     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Chat room would be very good. Perhaps one of those java IRC clients would help promote it.

I'm working on:
- making the interface less cluttered/crowded
- adding interface elements at the top
- eliminating all important interface elements at the bottom
- accounting for spaces for banner ads

For less clutter. What would you like eliminated from the design? I'm thinking maybe the cams can go from the main interface (since they barely ever change), and perhaps give staff and links their own areas as well.

Perhaps we could do a javascript menu system, to summon submenus when they're required? I'm not great with javascript, but I could make that work.

As for the monitor icons, they're pretty darn simple to make, so I could churn out a good number of them. I do have a lot of trouble fitting names into the monitor ("MightyMon" and "weishaupt" become unreadable at that scale). So you basically can have images there. Personally, I like the topics rather than poster id, I don't think there's an unreasonable number of generalized topics. But I can do personal ones too.

Need more suggestions still though. Good useful input.

eod
TREAT MERIGHT!
posted 03-26-2001 23:55     Click Here to See the Profile for eod   Click Here to Email eod     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
This may be the point where we want Fen to step in with his fine tuned flash skills. I know as long as we tell him what we want he can do it.

So if psyci if you want to do the layout graphical.. I bet fen could do it.

MightyMon
s0m30n3 s3t up us the m0n
posted 03-27-2001 00:31     Click Here to See the Profile for MightyMon   Click Here to Email MightyMon     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Psyci ---- You kick grand-ay ass. I was gonna throw in the submenu javascript as a suggestion for some of the links (Media, Links, and Staff, possibly Crapper [should eod keep it around] and Cams). That would go a looooong way to reduce the clutter there. Personally, I like the logo along the side. At least it looks different. The orange color I am still having a deep, personal wrestling match with, but I am certain I will come to some definitive decision as to my like and/or dislike of it sometime in the near future.

Eschew obfuscation. Yes.

Faran, thanks for starting this thread. Good idea. The main "issue" I had with your design was that it looks too much like BadAssMofo. But that was mainly due to the tables along the sides.

Psyci, two last things. The monitor icons rock (as well as the pen behind the links along the right side, nice touch), and I'd be all for icons rather than names. Perhaps some sort of icon library the posters could choose from, and then we could throw up another cluttering link along the side named Icon Legend. Just for shits and giggles. Last thing --- and I just cannot resist this, sorry --- I GOT MENTIONED AND CLME DIDN'T! HAW HAW!

Sorry, Chris, just had to do that.

------------------
Dad, I'm sorry I shot you.

psyci
Gr4ph1c4l P3nn3r
posted 03-27-2001 02:24     Click Here to See the Profile for psyci     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
I was looking through posts last couple of weeks, and I realize that coming up with an icon for every topic would be near impossible. However, a large library of semi-random icons could quite easily be made - let the post authors choose what they'd like to use for each post. They wouldn't be specific categories, though.

As for flash, fen will definitely have to work his magic there. Tomorrow I'll try to do a cleaned up design with some specs written on it.

Yeah, and I want to thank Faran too - I loved his prototype, gave me half the ideas I'm using. Basically I ripped off his layout idea and colors and did it up nice in photoshop, adding the monitor icons and changing the colors a wee bit. So give him some credit too.

psyci
Gr4ph1c4l P3nn3r
posted 03-27-2001 02:26     Click Here to See the Profile for psyci     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Oh yes, forgot to add: the Times New Roman I used in the pic will most likely be replaced with Arial or Courier. Not a big deal, but it looks a heck of a lot better.

This topic is 2 pages long:   1  2 

All times are PT (US)

next newest topic | next oldest topic

Administrative Options: Close Topic | Archive/Move | Delete Topic
Hop to:

Contact Us | Penismightier.com

Look out for the mexican. He knows where you hide your cake.