work=affiliates&rating=r">

UBBFriend: Email This Page to Someone!
  PenIs Forum
  General Discussion
  Sexism, Tampons, and Lube Jobs.

profile | register | preferences | faq | search

next newest topic | next oldest topic
Author Topic:   Sexism, Tampons, and Lube Jobs.
Clme
cake fiend
posted 05-06-2001 22:41     Click Here to See the Profile for Clme   Click Here to Email Clme     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Regarding THIS post:

I know that we have a *few* females who read the page. I was wondering if there have ever been any instances where you have been yelled at by a customer or lost business because you were female.

This is not just limited to females, however. I just expect more females to have similar stories.

I too have been discriminated against because of my sex. I used to work in the Health and Beauty section of the store (more pay and less supervision you see). Part of the job duties was to stock the Feminine Hygeine section once a week.

There were 2 men and one woman in the department (the woman called the aisle the "kootchie" section btw), so frequently there was no other options but for a male to stock the aisle.

I FREQUENTLY got complaints about me stocking that section. The women felt uncomfortable, and thought that me or the other man (who was gay) were lurking there.

I remember one time in particular:
I had just asked the other guy to pass over a case of Kotex 36ct and an Always with wings 24. (or something...it was 2 years ago). A woman walks up to me and says "What the heck are 2 men doing stocking this aisle? Its vulgar!"

When I then explained that we were the only ones available to do it she stormed off, logged a complaint in the office, and left.

The stores solution? After several years of complaints about Men daring to be in that aisle, they have just moved the stocking to the third shift people instead. Over half men as well

I could NOT believe how often we would get complaints on such a petty issue as WHO was doing the stocking. It happened about once a month. Ironically, I am still unable to actually go into that aisle with the intent of PURCHASING one of those products for my girlfriend.

-Chris

[This message has been edited by Clme (edited 05-06-2001).]

IP: Logged

ThePoopDaddy
unregistered
posted 05-06-2001 23:14           Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dealing with stupid and downright rude people is a daily occurrence(how the fuck do you spell that?) as a bartender. Old people who can't say please, or even hello, throw their money around, and worst of all don't leave a tip are just routine, although it still manages to get under my skin. All the old men want "the girl" bartenders to wait on them, so they can call them honey and baby, and just be gross. :-P
But the worst stupid people are ones that order drinks, don't like them, and then expect me to make them a new one for free when they didn't even bother to tip me. Had you tipped me more than 5% I would gladly make you something else, but if you gave me a 50 cent tip on a 10 dollar check and then complain cause you dont like your vodka and cranberry juice, you are shit out of luck, What did you think the mystical combination of vodka and cranberry juice was going to taste like you moron?
I could rant on and on, especially after a night where we did $15,000 in beverage sales, but I'll stop now.

ThePoopDaddy

Bitchgoddess
battin' .500
posted 05-06-2001 23:41     Click Here to See the Profile for Bitchgoddess   Click Here to Email Bitchgoddess     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
I know I'll hear more bitching about plugging my site constantly, but I recently wrote a rant aboot the lovely people who patronize my smoke shop, you can read it here if you care to.

I am called honey, sweetie, baby, doll, sugar, gorgeous, cutie, etc. etc. on a daily basis. I have crackheads asking for my phone number at least weekly. I don't have many people who don't think I can do my job because of my gender, but I do deal with a healthy dose of sexual harrassment constantly.

When I was in the Army though, that's a totally different story. In training I was paired up with a 180lb guy to practice unarmed combat. We were supposed to be learning how a smaller person can use their opponents weight against them, but I couldn't even get the guy to try to attack me. It was ridiculous. So I knocked him flat a few times, and made fun of him until he got pissed enough to train properly without worrying aboot my safety. I still kicked his ass.

***EDIT***
Fixed URL.

[This message has been edited by MightyMon (edited 05-07-2001).]

CapnBiggles
clmesdad. stopplease sirmyass is bleeding
posted 05-07-2001 06:50     Click Here to See the Profile for CapnBiggles     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bitchgoddess:
[B]
When I was in the Army though, that's a totally different story. In training I was paired up with a 180lb guy to practice unarmed combat. We were supposed to be learning how a smaller person can use their opponents weight against them, but I couldn't even get the guy to try to attack me. It was ridiculous. [B]

American culture is fucked up. We can go out to some third world country and kill random people, but we're trained to respect mom and pop and lil sis and apple pie. You can't hit a girl. It's just not allowed (unless she's your wife and she 'diserved' it. Please note the sarcasm here, although I bet that's a belief held by the old sexist fucker in clme's post) That's one of the reasons so many guys are fucked up from World War I, II, Korea, and especially Nam (which gave men compounded problems and disorders for a variety of reasons) God, I could bitch on and on.

Anyhoo, this guy should have realized the fact that he was IN THE ARMY. In the army, you train to KILL someone, the art of combat. My personal thoughts aside about it, his blind acceptance of social norm superceded the concept of why you joined. He failed to remember that you want to learn how to fight just as much as (i assume) he had to when he signed on. I'm glad to hear you gave him a good thrashing, you probably did him a favor.

Before I sign off on this, I don't want to sound like I'm knocking the military. I've got enough military history in blood to garner a healthy pride and respect for it. Just some idle observations due to the topic at hand.

[This message has been edited by CapnBiggles (edited 05-07-2001).]

dominion
unregistered
posted 05-07-2001 14:44           Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
I sold parts (auto parts) for about 5 years and had MANY experiences like the one metioned in your post.
First off, I was trained to sell parts by a complete biggot asshole. When our boss told him I was moving up to the front counter from the warehouse, he said What?! That GIRL can't sell parts, she can't even drive a car!" (at the time, i only had a bicycle). In the ed, he and I became good friends. This may have had something to do with the fact that I outsold him and made more commiission almost eery month.

I can't count the times I have been standing at the counter, with no one to wait on, and guys end up waiting for the male who is working with me, even though he might have 5 others waiting, too. I never understood this.

One of my bosses at a motorcycle shop where I worked had a good response to the people who asked "Is the are GUY around who can help me?". She'd say, "Hold on, let me get m strap-on and I'll be right back."
That usually worked, and always had me rolling on the floor.

Jimbo
1 dr3w j00 4 p1ggy!

posted 05-07-2001 22:59     Click Here to See the Profile for Jimbo   Click Here to Email Jimbo     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dominion:
I can't count the times I have been standing at the counter, with no one to wait on, and guys end up waiting for the male who is working with me, even though he might have 5 others waiting, too. I never understood this.

OK, I know I'm gonna get flamed for this, but... they probably waited for the guy because in every OTHER part store they'd ever been in, the girl behind the counter didn't know a fucking thing about anything but ringing up items on the register, and if you asked her for anything, would just go up and stand behind the nearest male employee and wait for him to finish with his customers so SHE could ask him your question for you. Usually garbled.

This is not, repeat, NOT to say that women know nothing about motors, or that you know nothing about them. Merely that if you made a habit of going into a random auto parts store every day and betting on whether or not the one girl in the place knew jack shit about motors, you'd go broke REALLY fucking quick if your bet was that she did.

I know this sucks for those of you that DO know more about the job than operating a cash register, but it's at least as much the fault of your ignorant brethren (sistren?) as it is your ignorant male customers.

:: shrugs helplessly ::

Clme
cake fiend
posted 05-07-2001 23:11     Click Here to See the Profile for Clme   Click Here to Email Clme     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Ok... I cant even count the number of times I've gone into a parts store and asked a person behind the counter for information/parts.

Male OR female, only half of them know what their doing.

Shit... at least now at dealerships they have computers that can show you a picture first.
Here is a conversationg that is only slightly exagerated from my last experience

Counterman: "Wait.. I dont know that we carry that part."

Me: "I just bought one here last month for another vehicle of the same make."

Counterman: "Well.. Oh... um.. what was the name of the part again? I was looking under 'chassis electrical' instead of 'engine electrical'"

Me: "Its called a spark plug."

Man or woman... I look for the one who's hands look dirty. At least they sometime touch the damn parts.

-Chris

[This message has been edited by Clme (edited 05-07-2001).]

dominion
unregistered
posted 05-08-2001 13:11           Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
in most ntion-chain type parts stores, the people behind the counter, male OR female, don't know much aout what they're doing; so i can forgive the assumption that the girl you see today will be as inept as the one you saw yesterday at autozone.
thing is...the peopl ewho would wait 30 minutes for a guy to help them would continue to do so even AFTER they heard me answer the phone and correctly identify the butterfly for some VW addict's outdated Weber carb or the generator for their old school six volt electrical system.
THESE are the people who drove me crazy. The only reason they insisted on continuing their small minded behaviour was not because of ignorance or lack of evidence contrary to their assumptions about girls and cars...but because they couldn't let even the smallest pin-prick endanger their over-inflated egos.
d

Jimbo
1 dr3w j00 4 p1ggy!

posted 05-08-2001 17:44     Click Here to See the Profile for Jimbo   Click Here to Email Jimbo     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Yeah, that's fucked - if I heard you talking about Weber carbs with confidence, I'd damn skippy be willing to ask you for a timing belt. Or a Jesel drive, for that matter.

Candy Corn
PenIsite
posted 05-14-2001 08:09     Click Here to See the Profile for Candy Corn   Click Here to Email Candy Corn     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
I work freelance, so sometimes things can be slow. During one of these times, I got a call from a friend saying they needed some day labor in their warehouse- if I was interested, call the shop manager. I did, and 'Mo' turned out to be a woman- fine. I told her about my friend's recommendation and asked her about the (temporary, low-paying) job. What shocked the hell out of me was when she replied, "Well, I was really looking to hire a man for the job"! I couldn't help it- my sarcastic side came out and I replied, "Well, I didn't know a penIs was required for the job. If you like, I can go buy one and bring it with me." Needless to say, I didn't get the job....
ps- I later ended up being Mo's boss on another job- don't worry, I made her do PLENTY of heavy lifting. I'm evil like that....

Amazon

Anal Amazon,
Assaulter of Men
posted 05-14-2001 09:01     Click Here to See the Profile for Amazon   Click Here to Email Amazon     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Men assume that women are stupid when it comes to fixing the car.
Once, I took my car to Firestone and the guy had the nerve to tell me I needed a muffler bearing. I asked him how was that put on? With a left handed metric screwdriver? He knew then that I would not be taken advantage of. I told him to put my car back together, I would be taking it elsewhere.

Another time, I took my car to Speedy Lube to get an oil change. A man came out to say I needed a new water hose... Fine, show me which one. That one? I can do it myself, thanks anyway. He raised an eyebrow like he didn't believe me. Bought the hose, went home and changed it myself.

One yet another car, I fixed my own water pump. It was hysterical to walk into the car parts store all greasy and see the looks on the MEN'S faces.... Yeah, I'm sure they all thought "LESBIAN", but who cares... I fixed the car!

------------------
Is she not right? Is she insane?

kokinolimoneiki
Member with a member
posted 05-14-2001 10:48     Click Here to See the Profile for kokinolimoneiki     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
--- on the consumer end of things ---
Yeah, clme's right-o on this one. Sorry Jimbo... Every time, and I mean EVERY time I've gone to a parts store when I used to have the time to fix my car (yes, I am still a girl and I DO also fix my car) no matter male or female (althought majority was always male) --- they had no fucking clue what I was talking about and then proceeded to act like I didn't know what I was doing.

Amazon is totally right too. If I were a little bit greasy or sweaty and knew exactly what I needed (measurements and names-like I wouldn't), they would snicker and talk amongst themselves. Even had the nerve to ask if it was my dad's errand I was coming in for. The best was when I went to have new tires put on my truck... My dad is well-known at this place for being a "cool guy who knows his shit." He's even got friends there. Well, I went in alone as an experiment...They didn't know me from Adam and they too were a little snobbish, and talked down to me (honey, darling bullshit) but once I opened my mouth, they kindly shut up. Only place on earth I respect with men who run a garage, so far anyways...I guess that's why my dad goes there. They do a good job, and actually know what they're doing. These places are rare (not just garages, but computer stores and even fucking Target, anywhere!) They don't even get your floor mats and seats all greasy! Enough ranting - I get it everywhere. I work in a damn coffee shop, where most folks would think that's a "woman's perfect job." It's the same bullshit everywhere. "Are you sure you know what you're doing, honey?" Fuck those people.

------------------
One for sorrow two for joy
Three for girls four for boys
Five for silver six for gold
Seven for a secret never to be told

[This message has been edited by kokinolimoneiki (edited 05-14-2001).]

Bex
Delicate Flower
posted 05-14-2001 16:39     Click Here to See the Profile for Bex   Click Here to Email Bex     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
I'm 5'2", female and work as a vet tech with large animals. ALL of the vet techs are women. Over half the vets and vet students are women. We've had farmers bringing in cattle actually ask for a male vet, or make snide comments about all the "girls".

It doesn't take a big burly guy with a gruff voice to work with most of these animals, and in some cases, it's detrimental. I've found that being quiet and gentle can get a lot accomplished. Plus, NO ONE can out-wrestle a horse or a cow unless they know proper restraint, and once you know that, you don't need to be huge. It's all about leverage and controlling the head.

I love my job. I have less chance of getting hurt with these animals than I would with dogs and cats, even tho the potential injuries are more severe.

-Bex

fenomas
argument nazi
posted 05-14-2001 18:16     Click Here to See the Profile for fenomas   Click Here to Email fenomas     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
I'd like to stand up for a moment for all the men (and I mean _real_ men) who don't have a funking clue what a weber carb is. Or a muffler bearing. I've changed my car battery, and oil, and that's about it. And I'd be happy to have a chix0r fix my car, if she knows more about it that I do, which is virtually guaranteed.

Yeah, now who's yer daddy?

zippy
Member with a member bigger than the member with a member
posted 05-14-2001 19:55     Click Here to See the Profile for zippy   Click Here to Email zippy     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
while i cant do diddly with my car, i can fit a cubic spline to a set of data points and interpolate the missing values. GO ME!

fenomas
argument nazi
posted 05-14-2001 21:26     Click Here to See the Profile for fenomas   Click Here to Email fenomas     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
um. I dunno about that, but I can use the pen tool in Illustrator. That's the same thing, right?

zippy
Member with a member bigger than the member with a member
posted 05-15-2001 09:44     Click Here to See the Profile for zippy   Click Here to Email zippy     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yeah baby, yeah. it's all good. PLUR FOREVER

stupid raversluts. my housemate became a raverslut. we had a photo of him dressed in all yellow raverslut clothes, but the webserver is down.

PeterWiggin
Resident PenIs MC
posted 05-15-2001 19:32     Click Here to See the Profile for PeterWiggin   Click Here to Email PeterWiggin     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
i worked at drug emprorium on brookhurst in Orange County california, and i too stocked feminine hygene products. They were an aisle two product. That aisle also had the Old people depends and such. I never had anyone ever tell me i shouldn't stock it, but i never liked facing the product and/or stocking countless tampons, maxi pads, and whatever else. There are so many different fucking brands sizes and colored packages it made my head spin. I often would place products in the wrong place due to my lack ability to tell the difference. I think its retarded that anyone should think that a male shouldn't stock that aisle, even though we probably aren't as knowledgdable. Are we not allowed to touch the packages? or is it an invasion of privacy? I mean, this seems to be an utter contradiction of any equal right movement. If a man cant stock the fem aisle, then a girl cant touch condoms, or better yet, GET AWAY FROM THAT COLOGNe... people are retarded.

PeterWiggin

Snag
Leaky Pen
posted 05-15-2001 19:46     Click Here to See the Profile for Snag   Click Here to Email Snag     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Okay, I agree with you G-Wigga, but (and don't start with me people) we men don't have much to do with the actual use of the tampon or maxi. The women on the other hand have mucho going on with the condom, cuz it's rubbin' the inside of their vaginal walls. As for the cologne, I also thinks that it's a double effect type deal.

Know what I'm sayin'?

------------------
All your... shut the fuck up.

MightyMon
s0m30n3 s3t up us the m0n
posted 05-15-2001 21:05     Click Here to See the Profile for MightyMon   Click Here to Email MightyMon     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Snag:
The women on the other hand have mucho going on with the condom, cuz it's rubbin' the inside of their vaginal walls.

Wait wait wait.

Is this true???

Because, whenever I use them, they end up rubbing the inside of my thorax.

------------------
I live for a great halter-top.

PeterWiggin
Resident PenIs MC
posted 05-15-2001 23:15     Click Here to See the Profile for PeterWiggin   Click Here to Email PeterWiggin     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
well, actually guys have to go to the store to buy tampons for their ailing significant others, and girls do have much ado about condoms, but its the guys responsibility, and cologn... yeah, im sure girls buy it. and guys that are gay sluts buy tampons to stop the poop from falling on cyd's face... So theres an exception to everything. We know snaggletootth.

PeterWiggin

All times are PT (US)

next newest topic | next oldest topic

Administrative Options: Close Topic | Archive/Move | Delete Topic
Hop to:

Contact Us | Penismightier.com

Look out for the mexican. He knows where you hide your cake.