PenIs Forum
  General Discussion
  New computer in the works

profile | register | preferences | faq | search

next newest topic | next oldest topic
Author Topic:   New computer in the works
Flashdim
Uber PenIs
posted 08-04-2001 13:24     Click Here to See the Profile for Flashdim   Click Here to Email Flashdim     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Here's the jist of the siddy-ation. I need a new computer. Badly. Biggles can attest to that. I need a MB, CPU, RAM, and case. Here's what I'm thinking for a "value+speed=roXX0r" system: ASUS A7M266, Athlon T-bird(266) 1.2 ghz, two sticks of 256 MB PC2100 ram, and maybe an Enlight 7237 for the case. Any suggestions?

------------------
-Seth
http://www.4fdarrow.com

IP: Logged

Jimbo
1 dr3w j00 4 p1ggy!

posted 08-04-2001 16:18     Click Here to See the Profile for Jimbo   Click Here to Email Jimbo     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Get the 1.4GHz Athlon instead. Start out with only one stick of PC2100 if you have to to make up the cost difference - you can always add a second stick later, whereas you're stuck with whatever CPU you get.

Flashdim
Uber PenIs
posted 08-04-2001 16:31     Click Here to See the Profile for Flashdim   Click Here to Email Flashdim     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Sounds good. Anyone know about advantages/speed comparison of the A7M266 vs. the A7A266?

deeznuts
Member with a member
posted 08-04-2001 19:49     Click Here to See the Profile for deeznuts     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
i don't know that i'd trade half your memory for a (relatively) small increase in cpu speed. overall i've found that extra ram gets you more performance than clock speed, even in games. once you dig into swap, you're not running at your processor's speed you're running at your hard drive's.

Jimbo
1 dr3w j00 4 p1ggy!

posted 08-04-2001 20:16     Click Here to See the Profile for Jimbo   Click Here to Email Jimbo     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
1. You rarely run through a full 256MB of RAM playing a game. (Black & White being a notable exception)

2. The whole point is that you can get the other 256MB stick LATER if you can't afford it right then, WITHOUT having wasted any money - whereas if you get the slower CPU, you're stuck with it.

Flashdim
Uber PenIs
posted 08-04-2001 22:20     Click Here to See the Profile for Flashdim   Click Here to Email Flashdim     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
I'm with Jimbo on this one. 256 is still quite a bit for now, and I will more than likely be less apt to change the CPU often. The A7A266 looks like it may be the MB of choice...a bit cheaper for the same features. Still unsure of it all though. Knowing me I'll just end up getting the 1.4ghz, 512 mb RAM and the A7M.

Update: including shipping, I think for all that plus a case looks to be about $520.

[This message has been edited by Flashdim (edited 08-04-2001).]

cmattoon244
unregistered
posted 08-04-2001 23:03           Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
I have the A7A266 and I think it is a pretty good board. For the difference in price you can't go wrong. It also has support for both 3 sdrams slots and 2 DDR slots whereas the A7M266 only supports 2 DDR slots. So if you already have sdram you could do what Jimbo said and buy the 1.4 and save some money since you wouldn't need to buy more ram.

cmattoon
unregistered
posted 08-04-2001 23:05           Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
I have the A7A266 and I think it is a pretty good board. For the difference in price you can't go wrong. It also has support for both 3 sdrams slots and 2 DDR slots whereas the A7M266 only supports 2 DDR slots. So if you already have sdram you could do what Jimbo said and buy the 1.4 and save some money since you wouldn't need to buy more ram.

Flashdim
Uber PenIs
posted 08-05-2001 07:51     Click Here to See the Profile for Flashdim   Click Here to Email Flashdim     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Whoah, deja vu. Different login names, too. Weird.

StickyLoad
Great Gobs of Cream
posted 08-06-2001 06:31     Click Here to See the Profile for StickyLoad   Click Here to Email StickyLoad     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
I just put my new system together. I got the 1.333 Ghz AMD with the Asus A7A266. I like it quite a bit. One thing you are going to have to watch is the temp the cpu runs at. Mine is running hot as hell. My system idles at about 62 degrees celcius.

The part that is hurting me is that my room temp is so damn hot to start with. This heat and humidity in the midwest is starting to really suck.

I all my hardware from www.mwave.com. I feel they have some good prices and have really good shipping costs and fast delivery. I picked up my ddr ram at www.crucial.com. It was $43 for 256 of pc 2100. This was last week, so I'm guessing the price hasn't changed much.

eod
TREAT MERIGHT!
posted 08-06-2001 11:26     Click Here to See the Profile for eod   Click Here to Email eod     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Thats why ya'll need to pick up a koolance case. Keep that shit in check, around 30c.

All times are PT (US)

next newest topic | next oldest topic

Administrative Options: Close Topic | Archive/Move | Delete Topic
Hop to:

Contact Us | Penismightier.com

Look out for the mexican. He knows where you hide your cake.