PenIs Forum
  General Discussion
  Jimbo's Little Comment (Page 3)

profile | register | preferences | faq | search

This topic is 4 pages long:   1  2  3  4  next newest topic | next oldest topic
Author Topic:   Jimbo's Little Comment
fenomas
argument nazi
posted 09-12-2001 19:37     Click Here to See the Profile for fenomas   Click Here to Email fenomas     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Demon-of-Elru:
Raghead takes less time to type than "Middle Eastern Citizen" or whatever the hell the PC term is, Palestinian or whatever, I don't care.

DOE- you're a bright kid, but I think you're a bit off-base here. Keep in mind that "Kill the fucking arabs" takes less time to type than "We need to find the people responsible for this tragedy and fuck them up bad, but we should be careful not to get carried away with our emotions and start transferring our anger on innocents just because of the color of their skin." But that doesn't mean the second version is just PC bullshit.

Its easy to discount racism if you've never been personally touched by it. But your comment that the people who take offense are the ones who keep it going is just misguided. You wouldn't say that the pedestrian half of an auto accident is at fault because if he'd been more resilient there would have been no accident.

Words are words, but despite what you think, they do hurt people. The reason is that saying "You raghead" is not equal to saying "You Middle-Easterner". It is much more like saying "You stinking Middle-Easterner, who is below me, and unworthy of consideration as an individual beyond his race". There's a lot of connotation tied up in a racial slur.

The only question left is whether you can use a slur against one part of a racial group without implying it against the entire racial group. Jimbo says yes, I say no, in essence, and this is open to debate.

But if you're arguing that racial slurs have no power and that taking offense to them is just PC posturing, that's because you've never been called one, or because you've never been called one by someone who had the power to (kick your ass | deny your loan | evict you from your apartment | etc...).

IP: Logged

Snag
Leaky Pen
posted 09-12-2001 19:41     Click Here to See the Profile for Snag   Click Here to Email Snag     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Exactly what he said.

Jimbo
1 dr3w j00 4 p1ggy!

posted 09-12-2001 20:04     Click Here to See the Profile for Jimbo   Click Here to Email Jimbo     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
quote:
Originally posted by fenomas:
The only question left is whether you can use a slur against one part of a racial group without implying it against the entire racial group. Jimbo says yes, I say no, in essence, and this is open to debate.

I'll buy that statement, although I'd like to reiterate YET AGAIN that "raghead" isn't a racial slur. If you want to get excruciatingly technical about it, it's an ethnic slur.

As for all those of you making the inevitable PC "oh woe is the evil of the white man who just doesn't understand" crap, I might be predominantly caucasian, but I'm a card-carrying member of the Echota Cherokee tribe. Why, you ask, am I card-carrying member of a Cherokee tribe? Because my actual amerind ancestors were Creek, and there ARE no fucking Creek tribes left, because they were all exterminated except for random refugees - mostly women and children - taken in and hidden from the feds by local white families. I'm the descendent of those (non-plantation-owning, non-slave-owning, mostly Scottish and German) families and the Creek refugees they took in.

There are two things I'd like to get across with this little story:

1. Fuck off with your "your ancestors never went through the hardship" crap.
2. That shit is so over and done with it's fucking pathetic. Get out of the past and live in the present - or maybe even the near future. It's much healthier in the end.

On another note, I've got a question for all the rest of the caucasians out there - are you really offended when somebody says the KKK are a bunch of white trash? Tell the honest truth, now. I don't want a textbook answer, I want to know if you heard someone - of any race - making the statement "nobody but white trash would join the KKK", if your immediate gut reaction is to be hurt or angry or whatever.

'Cause my personal immediate reaction is more along the lines of "you said it, brother."

Bex
Delicate Flower
posted 09-12-2001 20:05     Click Here to See the Profile for Bex   Click Here to Email Bex     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
You know, this discussion of whites enslaving Africans, etc etc makes me nuts. My relatives immigrated here since 1900. The oldest one here was my great grandmother and the most recent was my grandmother. They came from rural Germany, Norway, Poland and Belo-Russia. Slavery had come and gone by the time they came here and they lived in rural areas as farmers.

But yet, I'm lumped into the clan of the big bad white folk because people with my skin color kept slaves. It's reverse racism. Even people descended from southern plantation owners are not responsible since they never kept slaves themselves. We can't choose our parents or the past. But we can choose what we do in the present and that should be all that matters.

It's not easy and I slip occasionally, but at least I try to notice when I am being racist and try to stop. And I am trying very hard not to hate any ethnic groups after what has happened. I just can't understand people that could kill thousands of people because of a religious belief.

-Bex

kokinolimoneiki
Member with a member
posted 09-12-2001 20:10     Click Here to See the Profile for kokinolimoneiki     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
This is a sad day for anyone - whether you're white or not. I'm as white as they come, French and Scottish. Well, the human race as a whole has not been that glowing. We've all in some fashion or another, hurt or endangered or offended someone. Conscious or not. I think we should focus on trying to overcome this immense loss, not only for the loved ones of the dead, but for the whole world to overcome this. Will this be another reason for riots and race-wars? Or will it finally make us realize that we are all human and deserve the right to personal freedom... To quote clme, "Give Blood" That's all we can do to help. If you have money, give it. If you pray, do it. If you hate, think about it. And please realize that it only makes things like this more possible.
You know, I work at a women's clinic, yes, Planned Parenthood. I was scared out of my mind yesterday and today more than I ever was before. This is the perfect time for a domestic terrorist to strike, when everyone is focused on one thing. We are all living in fear now. This is a horrible horrible thing. But you know what else? This shit happens, mayhaps on a smaller scale, all over the world all the time. Yes, we help out for the most part, but we never take it to heart because it's never happened to us. Now it's out turn. What are we going to do? Fight about it?

[This message has been edited by kokinolimoneiki (edited 09-12-2001).]

Demon-of-Elru
TFC Bitch
posted 09-12-2001 20:22     Click Here to See the Profile for Demon-of-Elru   Click Here to Email Demon-of-Elru     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Ho hum!

Snag - I love how you said I can forget the past because I have money [ ha! damn I wish that were true! ] and power [ phew almost but not quite ] I forget the past because it is not affecting us currently. The past is not occuring in the present, and thus, is not affecting it. The memory of it is what affects those that will allow it to affect them. I'm sure you forgot about the Inquisition, that was in the past. Forgot about the massacres which were the Holy Wars. You choose what you wish to forget and to remember. You can't do SHIT with events that happened in the past. Why bother with them? I hate mostly everyone and everything I see. However, I cherish all that I hate. So in the end, I have a "Eh, whatever" feeling towards everything and everyone. Unless of course someone did something really good or bad. If Bin Laden is behind this, I'll hate him. He did things in the past that are currently affecting us. I'm not going to hate a descendant of a plantation owner. That's what pisses me off about racism [ namely racism towards black and whites ] because people are still living back then. Get over it already. [ sorry if that didn't make any sense BTW, I'm light headed right now for some reason :\ ]

"Too white to understand what everyone else, especially blacks, go through on a daily basis."

Please man. Please explain how the colour of one's skin affects thier understanding. What is it? Some special pheremone or something?

Fen - Hrmm how can I say this? ::ponder:: Ok, I'll try to convey how I feel about it. I feel that if people didn't care about the words, they would lose meaning. Once the meaning is lost, the word is useless, which means it won't be used. If the words that cause people to get upset are not used, no one gets upset. [ That'll have to do for an explination, sorry I can't explain it better ]

Jimbo - I don't take offense to that. I hate the KKK, it's stupid. As far as I am concerned, people who will kill and put down others because of skin colour don't deserve life.

------------------
We live life afraid of death, but only live to die.

jumper42
Frat Troll

posted 09-12-2001 20:43     Click Here to See the Profile for jumper42   Click Here to Email jumper42     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Snag:
Whitebread worlds.
Whites like us.
Too white to understand what everyone else, especially blacks, go through on a daily basis.

It's easy to forget when your white.

snag i love your blaket statements. i guess you calling all whites racists is just as bad as me saying camel jockey. it is easy to forget that you have NEVER been a slave when you like to blame some of your problems on some other group.

"the white man did this; the white man did that." gimmie a FUCKING break if you dont like your lot in life go out and make something of yourself and dont say you cant cause "the white man be holdin me down." that is an excuse of the weak minded who feel like they cant change things. i am sure glad that MLK did not have the same mind set as you.

fenomas
argument nazi
posted 09-12-2001 20:58     Click Here to See the Profile for fenomas   Click Here to Email fenomas     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Jimbo- Let's argue theory, not whose ancestors suffered more. Also, insulting white trash is not the same as insulting whites. Finally, I don't see where ethnic slurs are a whole lot better than racial ones.

DOE- Well, obviously. And if people learned to learned to shit anchovie pizza, we could solve our sewage problems and feed the world at the same time. But people will not just stop being hurt by these words, at least not by next tuesday- And not just because people are shallow, but because these words often bring back memories of injury or foretell injury to come. If person A is hurting person B, I put the responsibility of change on person A.

Finally, Jim and Bex, your suggestions of putting all this in the past would be fine if we lived in a world where all the different colors had the same opportunity. If you're saying that's the case, then fine, let's argue. I don't think we'll ever get a society that's all the way to that point, personally. But we can continue the process of refinement, attempting to eliminate prejuidice where we find it. We won't do that by pretending slavery never occurred, or by pretending that america is perfect with liberty for all, and we sure as fuck won't do it by running websites with "fucking raghead" on the front page, which I'm still not very freaking thrilled about.

fen

MrSelfdestruct
Member with a member
posted 09-12-2001 21:24     Click Here to See the Profile for MrSelfdestruct   Click Here to Email MrSelfdestruct     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
I may be coming in a little late on this topic, but I will give my two cents anyway...

I understand that it was disturbing to see around 20-25 muslims celebrating the attacks, but that is only 20-25 people out of 5-6 million people.

We have to remember that the people that condone/commited these acts are by no means a good "Representitive" of the muslim population.

Just like those coders that create stupid-assed viruses are not "representative" of the entire programming/computer science community

Or that pr0n sites are a good representative of the state of the internet

That is enough analogies for me, I think that I am going to take a nap

------------------
Fun Fact: If you laid all the stupid people end to end around the world, 75% of them would drown.
That wouldn't be such a bad thing, now would it?

Snag
Leaky Pen
posted 09-12-2001 22:06     Click Here to See the Profile for Snag   Click Here to Email Snag     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
In response.
I don't think many of you have sat down with a group of black men, and heard what it's like to be a black man in a white society. Not even just black, but asian, native american, latin... you name it.

I know things are getting better, but that doesn't mean we can all stop trying. We can't all forget slavery. We can't all forget that we are still above all on many of the "ladders" of this society.

I wish that I wasn't blamed for what happenned in the past too. But, in the United States the white man was the slaver. The black man was the slave.

As for every white man being a racist. I feel that we are all ingrained with a sense of racism since the day we were born. We have the power to be racist. We are all inherently racist. If you disagree, disagree with my ideas, not the person that I am.

It's not fuck me, it's fuck my ideals.

Snag
Leaky Pen
posted 09-12-2001 22:17     Click Here to See the Profile for Snag   Click Here to Email Snag     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Oh, and when did I try to pawn my problems off on anyone or anything?

Believe me, I have a lot of problems... but, I keep them usually to myself, and loved ones.

kleshlet82
unregistered
posted 09-12-2001 23:21           Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
i am absolutely floored by what i've just read. absolutely floored.

where to begin?

to say "slavery happened 100 years ago; it wasn't me personally who was involved, so lets forget about it and move on," is nothing short of PURE ignorance. what happened in the past doesn't affect today? really? then why did thousands of people die yesterday? why did the most serious act of violence in our country's history occur less than 30 miles from my house? why did i have to spend half of yesterday calling home, making sure loved ones were alive?

by the logic of "past not affecting present," it wasn't a reaction to things happening in the past.

why do acts of violence against innocent civilians, against children, happen every day in this world all over the globe?

why?

because of things that happened in the PAST. these acts of violence, these vicious cries out to humanity, are reactions to events occuring in the past, to history. the conflicts in ireland, in the middle east, everywhere, have been going on for years and years and years.

and yet, the past doesnt affect the present?

i beg to differ.

jumper42
Frat Troll

posted 09-13-2001 00:06     Click Here to See the Profile for jumper42   Click Here to Email jumper42     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
there is a difference in saying that slavery is in the past because it happened in 1860's. now i do not personally know anybody who was alive then who could shed some light on that matter. now the reasons SOME militant muslims hate the US is for the fact of our support in the land grab that isreal did only 50 years ago.

if you need me to put it any simpler terms think of comparing apples and oranges.

Demon-of-Elru
TFC Bitch
posted 09-13-2001 00:32     Click Here to See the Profile for Demon-of-Elru   Click Here to Email Demon-of-Elru     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
quote:
Originally posted by kleshlet82:
to say "slavery happened 100 years ago; it wasn't me personally who was involved, so lets forget about it and move on," is nothing short of PURE ignorance. what happened in the past doesn't affect today? really? then why did thousands of people die yesterday?

Well... call me crazy, but somehow I don't think Kunta Kinte[ sp? ] is the mastermind behind the events of the 11th. We'll say Bin Laden is behind it all. In the 1800's was one of Bin Laden's ancestors a slave to a white person living in America? I don't think so.

By saying that the past doesn't affect the present, I mean like... we'll say your ancestors and my ancestors were arch enemies. We'll say it's 1000 years ago this occured. Large fight between your ancestors and mine, mine killed some of yours and yours killed some of mine. Because of that event in the past, I'm not going to hunt you down and extract revenge in the present.

The past has no affect on the present. It's the memory of the past and the interpretation[ sp? ] of the past that affects the present.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Demon-of-Elru (edited 09-13-2001).]

fenomas
argument nazi
posted 09-13-2001 02:02     Click Here to See the Profile for fenomas   Click Here to Email fenomas     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Great point, DOE. Now let's say my ancestors stole all your ancestors' shit and willed it to me, so now I own the bank, and you have to live on my property, pay me rent, and you can't better yourself because I won't give you a loan because your grandpa pissed off mine. But seriously, we should get past this petty feud. Let's shake and make up.

Like I said, DOE- you're a bright kid, but you might want to re-evaluate your policy on speaking out on topics you have not direct experience with.

jumper42
Frat Troll

posted 09-13-2001 02:09     Click Here to See the Profile for jumper42   Click Here to Email jumper42     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
quote:
Originally posted by fenomas:
Like I said, DOE- you're a bright kid, but you might want to re-evaluate your policy on speaking out on topics you have not direct experience with.

this sounds like the pothead calling his dealer black.....

....or something like pot and kettle

[This message has been edited by jumper42 (edited 09-13-2001).]

Clme
cake fiend
posted 09-13-2001 05:47     Click Here to See the Profile for Clme   Click Here to Email Clme     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
quote:
Originally posted by kleshlet82:

to say "slavery happened 100 years ago; it wasn't me personally who was involved, so lets forget about it and move on," is nothing short of PURE ignorance. what happened in the past doesn't affect today? really? then why did thousands of people die yesterday? why did the most serious act of violence in our country's history occur less than 30 miles from my house? why did i have to spend half of yesterday calling home, making sure loved ones were alive?

To forget history is to repeat it. There are many who say that if Hitler had studied french history (specifically, Napoleon) that he wouldn't have invaded Russia when he did, and he would have won WWII.

A surprisingly small piece of the population actually owned slaves, even in the 1800's. Of course, the people who DID own slaves in the 1800's owned several dozen a piece (on average).

The black man never did own any land in the US before he was brought over by slave traders. Why aren't they mad at the Europeans that would bring shiploads of people over here to be sold? Or the native peoples that sold people from neighboring tribes to the traders? That part of history isn't as well known as the evil man with the whip keeping great-great-great grampa down.

Saying its 100% the fault of the white man is as ignorant as saying "Well if you dont like it go back to africa".

How long do we dwell on the past?

The palestinians lost a country at the end of WWII when it was given away to people who had lost a country themselves MANY years ago. Most people however, agree that they lost that in a vicious war, that they should just forget their past and move one.

Who is right? At least in that case there are people left who actually remember having their own land and country

If I were a member of the "Hatfield" clan and 300 years ago the "McCoy's" down the street shot my grandfather, do I keep that fued going? Or do I move on and sleep with their sister like any good mostly white boy?

What I find the funniest is people who claim that they are without ANY sort of prejudice. Hey, you're prejudiced against prejudiced people

By the way, reverse racism is really just racism.

-Chris

[This message has been edited by Clme (edited 09-13-2001).]

Amazon

Anal Amazon,
Assaulter of Men
posted 09-13-2001 05:57     Click Here to See the Profile for Amazon   Click Here to Email Amazon     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
I am prejudiced. I only like the white meat on the chicken...

Snag
Leaky Pen
posted 09-13-2001 07:34     Click Here to See the Profile for Snag   Click Here to Email Snag     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
I'm running out of ways to defend myself from insults. That's not too cool.
Apples and Oranges huh? Awesome.

Clme your right, it's not 100% the white man's fault. But, the majority of it is. Guess who has to take the majority of the blame?

If no one here wants to be openminded, and even attempt to understand other's plight, well this all a waste of time.

joshy
Uber PenIs
posted 09-13-2001 08:23     Click Here to See the Profile for joshy   Click Here to Email joshy     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Amazon:
I am prejudiced. I only like the white meat on the chicken...

Freakish white-meat eater! Long live the supremicy of the all-mighty DRUMSTICK!!

MightyMon
s0m30n3 s3t up us the m0n
posted 09-13-2001 10:34     Click Here to See the Profile for MightyMon   Click Here to Email MightyMon     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Snag:
Clme your right, it's not 100% the white man's fault. But, the majority of it is. Guess who has to take the majority of the blame?

The only ones who have to take blame are those who, individually, were the perpetrators of slavery, or, in your case, are the ones who keep saying shit like this which is neither constructive nor helpful in resolving the multitude of difficulties facing the world today.

------------------
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Clme
cake fiend
posted 09-13-2001 11:35     Click Here to See the Profile for Clme   Click Here to Email Clme     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
What he said.

hussain
S4d4m Hussain, 1st General, IRC & Script Kiddie Division
posted 09-13-2001 11:44     Click Here to See the Profile for hussain   Click Here to Email hussain     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
What Fenomas said earlier. And what Mon just said.

I hate dialup, i can't respond quick enough.

Demon-of-Elru
TFC Bitch
posted 09-13-2001 12:43     Click Here to See the Profile for Demon-of-Elru   Click Here to Email Demon-of-Elru     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Fen - Where the hell did that come from? :P You wouldn't be able to keep the grudge anyways because surnames change over time, I know mine has.

------------------

LonMabonJovi
Member with a member bigger than the member with a member
posted 09-13-2001 15:44     Click Here to See the Profile for LonMabonJovi   Click Here to Email LonMabonJovi     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
FYI: The Hatfield's and McCoy's get together once a year for a picnic now.

And that is all I have to say about that.

This topic is 4 pages long:   1  2  3  4 

All times are PT (US)

next newest topic | next oldest topic

Administrative Options: Close Topic | Archive/Move | Delete Topic
Hop to:

Contact Us | Penismightier.com

Look out for the mexican. He knows where you hide your cake.