Steaming Ass

Comments

• The sound you hear with a big yawn?

Yeah, it never occured to me that others can't do that without yawning.

• I always thought I was the _only _one who could do it, since the other kids I asked when I was young didn't know what I was talking about. Then after reading Firestarter in 4th grade I was pretty sure if I did it hard enough I could either move things with my mind or _push _people to do stuff - or give myself an aneurysm.

• Greg Cochran has been covering the new coronavirus. It's in blogographical order, so scroll down to "Strategy ( not the Flu)" to read it from the beginning.

• I saw a crazy conspiracy theorist going off about how the whole vaping sickness was actually the first wave of covid-19 and that it started here. idk about all that, but the effort to pin this on China has been very heavy handed

• edited March 2020

That is at least a bit more believable than the "Corona virus is really just 5G sickness. China launched the most 5G towers first that's why its so bad there"

Heh. Wait for the 'Vaping prevents COVID and that's why they tried to ban it"

• I'm kind of morbidly curious how people like Pence or McConnell think they're going to be treated in history books. Do they just not care? They can't realistically not know, can they?

• I think McConnell either doesn't care, or figures that the dynasty he helps cement will write the history books and make him look better. Then again, he obviously gets off on "owning the libs" so... who cares about legacy when he pops a boner every time he sees a newspaper headline?

But Pence... I can't even make a bad guess.

Pence is a goddamn Republican radio personality. He wasn't even one of the interesting ones. But he also suffers the delusion that he is a devout Christian leader and yet also some 21st century version of Ward Cleaver. I mean, the Republican radio personality part definitely gets off on being with Trump, but the other two conflict, and would presumably hate his legacy... Unless the ends justified the means of course.

Maybe as long as he gets abortion ruled on again in the Supreme Court and "In God We Trust" on the federal license plates it will be OK? Maybe he thinks he's being a Martyr?

Or maybe after how shitty he did in Indiana he figures history can't hurt him... I mean, he did get reelected despite being absolutely shit at doing anything.

Plus I've never been able to figure out how the whole Billy Graham rule (can't be alone in a room with a woman) fits in either.

How can a man who is so damn boring be such an enigma?

• edited March 2020

@Clme said:
    That is at least a bit more believable than the "Corona virus is really just 5G sickness. China launched the most 5G towers first that's why its so bad there"

Heh. Wait for the 'Vaping prevents COVID and that's why they tried to ban it"

for your conspiracy theorist pleasure,

don't forget to stick around to the 5 minute mark when he starts talking about the job posting he found (still online) for a geneticist at the wuhan institute of virology or whatever it was

(this dude is a dude who moved to china and lived there for 10 years as an expat and married and had a kid with a chinese wife and i think they just moved back to the US(CA I think?) recently. his videos tend to be fairly neutral but no-nonsense about china, gov and culture clash issues)

• For just a brief, glorious moment, I thought I was looking at a sand worm from the Dune movie.

• It took the DNC almost two years to decide who the best person was to defeat DJT in 2020, and this is what they came up with.

• @LonMabonJovi said:

It took the DNC almost two years to decide who the best person was to defeat DJT in 2020, and this is what they came up with.

This is some K-Rat level shit right here.

• Trump's tweets lately genuinely sound like a Stan Lee-era comic book villain, the kind who spends a lot of time gloating about how foolishly the heroes have walked right into his latest trap.

• edited May 2020

"The examination of Vladimir “Zev” Zelenko’s records began when an associate, conservative commentator Jerome Corsi, accidentally sent an email intended for Zelenko to another “Z” name in his address book — federal prosecutor Aaron Zelinsky, who as a member of special counsel Robert S. Mueller III’s team had spent months scrutinizing Corsi’s activities during the 2016 presidential election."

fucking LOL

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/vladimir-zev-zelenko-fox-news-trump-hydroxychloroquine-jerome-corsi/2020/04/30/82622456-8af2-11ea-ac8a-fe9b8088e101_story.html

• Whenever Trump and the Republican cronies drone on about the whole "deep state" conspiracy theory, they completely miss the fact that very few things stay secret in Washington. Given the leaks in his own administration, over the last three years, it's ludicrous to believe that there could possibly be some sort of "deep state conspiracy" to do... anything... that wouldn't come out, eventually.

Seriously... The Republicans must watch too many movies...

• Speaking of Republicans and movies...

Apparently people inside the administration keep using Star Wars analogies. But they forget that the Empire were the bad guys.

The latest was comparing some effort they were making to the Death Star... but they use it as though the Death Star was a good thing, and they want to completely obliterate a goddamn planet of 2 billion people.

• edited May 2020

I keep having a guilty thought, and I do immediately feel guilty after having it: Biden, Trump, and Pence all catch covid-19 and die, thus giving us another chance at finding a potentially competent new president. I know we aren't worthy, but God is supposed to have a soft spot for fools, drunkards and the United States of America.

Considering that this is bipartisan dismay, perhaps I'm not violating my swearing off of politics in posting this.

• edited May 2020

That makes me wonder if Trump and Pence would become martyrs, and if Biden would somehow be posthumously forgiven by his accuser(s). Given that we're in a horrible timeline, I cant' make any bets.

That being said, I fear it would have to go a lot deeper into the government to do much good. The ineptitude and dysfunction are symptoms of a problem, not the cause.

Well... wait. That is oversimplifying it.

What I mean is that there is an entire network that has been responsible for and supportive of them that would still exist if the figureheads were removed.

It is within their best interest to put in someone just as horrible as any of them... but much more competent. Whatever it takes to prevent advancement of any cause other than capitalism without consequences.

Yes, I believe that with the Democrats too. They may take a slightly less immediately harmful approach to it, but they are also in the pockets of capitalism.

• ...with a title like that I was expecting to get mad at the article. But, well, it fits.

• George Floyd's first autopsy report is now available online. I read it yesterday. I found the detailed chart of the toxicology report on page 15 interesting. Note that morphine is a metabolite of heroin. Floyd, intentionally or unintentionally, was stacking fentanyl and heroin.

I then did some web searching to find out what fatal concentrations of morphine and fentanyl tend to be, especially when they are stacked. Tables 1-3 of this article is an example of what I found.

As far as I can tell, George Floyd's level of free morphine stacked with his blood level of fentanyl was in the typically fatal range. This implies to me that those cops charged with murder and aiding and abetting murder will be found not guilty if they have competent legal defense. Given that they have been able to raise large amounts of money, I assume their defense will be competent. At most, I can see them being convicted of something like excessive use of force.

Be prepared for more riots when the verdicts are read.

You know, I watched the videos of George Floyd's arrest and death. The death video is sickening, but I noticed that the police weren't acting like persons with guilty knowledge. I don't believe that they believed they were doing anything wrong. I think that in their opinion they were just restraining someone who was spazzing out on drugs.

• I also read the autopsy and formed an opinion about its legal implications, because I definitely understand all the medical and legal issues involved so I wouldn't just be telling myself what I wanted to hear.

• @fenomas said:
    I also read the autopsy and formed an opinion about its legal implications, because I definitely understand all the medical and legal issues involved so I wouldn't just be telling myself what I wanted to hear.

OMG, OMG I could be wrong! I could be wrong!

I note that all the journalists who are saying George Floyd was killed by cops without even throwing in an "allegedly" are medical and legal experts.

I'm a human being who is capable of thinking. I've done some thinking. I could be wrong, but at least I explained my thought process. I expect riots when the verdict is read. If you are a person who is living in a place vulnerable to riots, I suggest you take that into consideration as you plan for the future. Or not, I don't claim to be a guru.

If you feel it's illegitimate to consider issues upon which you are not expert, that's your decision, but it makes me wonder how you navigate life.

• @Bill said:
    If you feel it's illegitimate to consider issues upon which you are not expert, that's your decision, but it makes me wonder how you navigate life.

Move up one meta-level :lol: Disregarding the experts and forming your own conclusions isn't an all-or-nothing lifestyle choice; you're allowed to make decisions about when it makes sense and when it doesn't.

That is: it's all well and good to say "I'm not an expert but here's what I expect to happen". But the meta-issue to consider is: "is this a domain that behaves the way non-experts expect it to?" I contend that the US legal system does not - it's a domain where expertise has meaning; legal experts make much better predictions about it than random strangers. And within such a domain, you should disregard your own expectations and trust expert opinion - not out of deference, but because you expect the latter to map better to reality.

all the journalists who are saying George Floyd was killed by cops without even throwing in an "allegedly" are medical and legal experts

I don't think that point is in dispute. "Killed by" isn't a legal designation, it's just a colloquial description. And colloquially speaking, of course they killed him. He was alive, and they sat on him until he wasn't. What else is there to call it?