Comments

• Before reading, my first guess would be: Unprotected sex with lots of French women.

After reading... Well, not all the women were French.
    Not to discount the reason the article states, but it doesn't seem like he was ever particularly close even prior to the stated tragedy.

• I read that a few days ago when it showed up on my google news feed. Very interesting.

I'm curious what counts as 'different' sources if the story is not related to the White House.

• https://www.buzzfeed.com/josephbernstein/heres-how-breitbart-and-milo-smuggled-white-nationalism

Apparently a bunch of emails have been leaked, leading to this exposé of how the sausage is made down at Breitbart.

Bannon is quite the true believer.
  • @fenomas said:

Bannon is quite the true believer.

Huh.

And after the violent white supremacist protest in Charlottesville, Virginia, in August, Breitbart published an article explaining that when Bannon said the site welcomed the alt-right, he was merely referring to “computer gamers and blue-collar voters who hated the GOP brand.”

I'm not sure I don't have a lot of recent experience... but is there anyone more white-supremecist than an alt-right gamer with voice-chat?

My ad-hominem attacks aside, they hated that the GOP brand wasn't far-right enough. So he isn't exactly contradicting the criticism.

I'm still working through the rest, but damn. I do like how even they considered VDare to be 'too racist' while conveniently working with the damn Daily Stormer. That is... something.

• Its interesting to see how for the straight couples bars/restaurants has shot up and online dating hit a plateau though. I don't find it surprising at all that there is higher use of online dating amongst homosexuals, considering there is still stigma about being gay and also being out in the open looking for a mate.

• The point of ads is to make the people that watch them rich? What? Yachts for customers? Wha...

Has Sailor turned into a troll-bot? (Or forgotten about the bots and targeted ads?) Even if put on my right-wing-website hat I'm having trouble seeing the humor in this one. Its written for people that already agree with him and doesn't actually make any salient point other than "Look at how much Hillary spent and still managed to get 3.5 million more votes! er... forget that, just remember that the Washington post editorials are normally left wing!"

• The "customers' yachts" thing was referring to the people buying the ad (from Google etc).

That said, I skimmed the article looking for the part where he'd admit that online ads come with incredibly robust analytics, and explain why that doesn't invalidate his thesis, but he never did. Meh.
  • Ah. I misunderstood that bit then. I stand corrected.

• The pot called the kettle black.

• edited November 2017

Dunno what Bill's on about but I think the article raises a fair question. There's a decent chance that the Mueller investigation finds that Trump's campaign colluded (in the general meaning of the word) with Russian agents, but that it wasn't illegal under any current law. If that happens, America will face a very big "...okay, what now?" kind of moment.

More broadly there's a whole list of things people have sort of vaguely assumed the president couldn't do - retaining his business interests, profiting personally from being in office, pressuring the DoJ and FBI to go after his political opponents, etc. And the question becomes, if a president does all that stuff, are there going to be any consequences, or are we going to make some new rules, or are those just going to be things that presidents do from now on?

Trump is a kind of physical embodiment of the question "Yeah, but is there a law against it?"

• The thing is, impeachment exists so that there shouldn't have to be a 'law against it'.

....which is why we're all fucking worried about this. Because anyone that is seeking reelection is scared of the 33% of republicans that actually support Trump.

• It's interesting to consider that gerrymandering can be a big part of the cause for this stuff. When a politician has more to fear from primary challenges than from the opposite party, it seems pretty inevitable that they'll slide out to the fringes of their party.

• New York City Has Genetically Distinct ‘Uptown’ and ‘Downtown’ Rats: A graduate student sequenced rats all over Manhattan, and discovered how the city affects their genetic diversity.

• edited December 2017

So only uptown rats will become pizza rat? :-)

(Starts singing 'uptown girl')

• I'd argue about the last photo in that article. That kind of looked like it had a current purpose.

A whole artform named after a 'useless but maintained' baseball player. Yikes. Not sure if I would consider that an honor or a burn that will outlast the subject.

• edited December 2017

On the last one, it looks to me that a rectangular hole used to be there.

Edit: After looking some more, I think probably not. What I thought was a seam is really just a change in the brick pattern. One of the commentators said that the railing is to keep blind persons from bonking their head on the underside of the stairs.

• That was a wild ride. I'd always sort of wondered what the hell folk dancing was doing in gym class.
  • That was a lot more interesting than I initially thought it would be. Thanks for the link.

Related: What about line dancing though? We had a week of square dancing every year starting in grade school. But then starting in either middle or high school they also added a week of line dancing.

• edited January 2018

In my opinion the turning point in the article occurred near the end of the first page:

Jewish kids do well (on average) in every kind of school, while blacks and Hispanics do poorly in every kind of school—rich or poor, slum or suburb.

See, he makes no mention on if the minority students are themselves rich or poor. He only indicts the school itself. Later in the article he also left out information about the racial make-up of Kansas City in 1985 (or at least, I missed it if it were included). The drop-out rate going up seems interesting though.

I find that omission very interesting, since the crux of the rest of the article seems to be how so much about education relies on either anecdotal sources or data that is not a fair representation of local populations.

The torture jokes were interesting. I'm sure they killed back in '05.

Otherwise, the misspelling of Occam's razor as Ockham's razor was what actually 'triggered' me in the article. ;-)