The Supreme Court

edited July 2018 in General

Thoughts on the pick?

• Any surprises that he didn't pick the hot chick?
  • What about the theory that the pick is entirely about a paper this guy wrote saying the president shouldn't be bothered with lawsuits or indictments of any kind while he is still in office, ever?

Thoughts on the Dem strategy, as absent as it seems to be?

• I got nothing.

Thoughts on the liklihood of Brett Kavanaugh being confirmed by congress?

• Is it definitely 100%?
  • Could it be as low as 90%?
  • Or maybe will it be 110% plus they retroactively invalidate any of Ruth Bader Ginsburg's opinions?

Comments

• @Clme said:
    Thoughts on the pick?

• Any surprises that he didn't pick the hot chick?

Not surprised…. but I thought he might, just so he could say how he's not a misogynist...

• What about the theory that the pick is entirely about a paper this guy wrote saying the president shouldn't be bothered with lawsuits or indictments of any kind while he is still in office, ever?

Yes, this... when I heard he'd written this, I thought "Ah HA!".

Thoughts on the Dem strategy, as absent as it seems to be?

• I got nothing.

Unless they can find something, or they can trip him into saying he would reverse Row V. Wade, they've got nothing.

Thoughts on the liklihood of Brett Kavanaugh being confirmed by congress?

• Is it definitely 100%?
    • Could it be as low as 90%?

100%... Unless my previous answer occurs... then, 90%

President Orange is going to leave his finger prints on the country, for years to come. Very few presidents get two Supreme Court picks. Trump is going to get to reform the Supreme Court, alienate most of the world, embolden Russia and it's empire building, cripple the heath care coverage industry and make America more racist again. All in a single term.

The knuckle-draggers and right-wing nut-jobs of his base must be proud.

• Funny how McConnell managed to change the rule last year from 60 votes needed to confirm a Supreme Court Justice down to 51. If you could get that repealed somehow, they would have a little leverage. I don't see how a person could filibuster until 2020. They will scream bloody murder if the Dems try to hold out for November.

• Shit. They'll scream bloody murder if the dems try to hold out for next Thursday. Despite the fact that they can't really vote on this until August.

sigh

The right wing feeds/sites I follow have already written off every single concern about this pick as Dem fake news. So anything about Kennedy's son loaning Trump money he couldn't pay back, anything about Kennedy picking Kavanaugh himself (as came out yesterday) or anything about the paper that Kavanaugh wrote stating the president should be basically exempt from investigation despite being very intimately involved in the Clinton impeachment... well... its all fake news now, you see?

• ItS aLl FakE you SEE? Its aLL fakE!

Just Dem0Crat ColLusiOn wItH the DEEP STATE!

DEEP STATE COLLUSION I'm nOt a PupPet YouRe the pUpPPETTT

• It's amusing how they believe in some "deep state" conspiracy controlled by the liberals... given the Republicans control the "state". The house, the senate, the Whitehouse and soon the Supreme Court. Every branch of government is controlled by the Republicans, but somehow some shadowy liberal conspiracy controls the "real" leavers of power.

• You work with what you know, right?

So lets say you're the leader of a large country and you've allegedly been an agent of a foreign power since 1987. What better way to throw off suspicion than to make strangely specific accusations of people working for the betterment of a foreign power?

(This post was only partly a joke).

• The permanent bureaucracy is controlled by the Democrats, as is the press.

• It's always a good sign when your political views are random conspiracy theories except with "the Jews" changed to the group you dislike.

• It it a conspiracy when it is out in the open?

• Is this going to be another thing that you claim is obvious, but also only visible to people free of bias like you?

• edited July 2018

I'm not saying there is a deep state. It would be nice if there were hidden persons in charge who know what they are doing, but I don't see it.

On the other hand, the fact that the permanent bureaucracy, the press, (and the educational establishment) are overwhelmingly Democrat is well documented. Just Google it.

• Fox News is the number one cable and internet news service in our country. They are also the only member of the top four our President will still talk to, and the only ones that Sarah Sanders will address without insulting.

Oh, and here is my top google result:

• For the record, I can't stand Daily KOS or OccupyDemocrats any more than I can stand the Blaze or Newsmax.

But I still check in on NewsMax because they are a source that seems to hold a lot of value in the White House (and family reunions).

• @Bill said:

[vague hand-waving claim that isn't falsifiable] is well documented. Just Google it.

I'll get right on that, you nutball caricature of yourself you :grimace:

Side note: given that the Democrats control the media and the schools and the bureaucracy and everything, it's nice that they haven't abused that power to, say, gain control of literally any part of federal or state government.

This shows admirable restraint - maybe it's for the best that they control everything?

• @Clme said:
    Fox News is the number one cable and internet news service in our country. They are also the only member of the top four our President will still talk to, and the only ones that Sarah Sanders will address without insulting.

Oh, and here is my top google result:

Fox News being number one doesn't reflect the party affiliation of the press; it reflects the affiliation of the viewers.

On the first page of the results from Googling "party affiliation of the press."

7 percent of reporters identify as Republican

Similar studies have shown the same thing for decades now.

• @fenomas said:
    @Bill said:

[vague hand-waving claim that isn't falsifiable] is well documented. Just Google it.

I'll get right on that, you nutball caricature of yourself you :grimace:

Side note: given that the Democrats control the media and the schools and the bureaucracy and everything, it's nice that they haven't abused that power to, say, gain control of literally any part of federal or state government.

This shows admirable restraint - maybe it's for the best that they control everything?

It's easy to falsify. Just show that the permanent bureaucracy, the press, and education aren't overwhelmingly Democrat (or Democrat leaning if they claim to be independent). Thing is, studies for decades do show that they are overwhelmingly Democrat. And yes, it's easy to Google it.

The reason that Democrats don't win the majority of elections is because the majority of voters aren't Democrats. More specifically, white men and married white women vote majority Republican. Republicans can win the majority of electoral offices, but that doesn't mean they can steer the vast bureaucracy, which does the actual governing, in the direction they want it to go, at least not with any speed.

• "Hollywood is controlled by the Jews" and "this study says N% of Hollywood producers are Jewish" are separate, indeed unrelated, claims. Surely even you see that?

• edited July 2018

Example that took less than a minute to find: Survey: Educators' Political Leanings, Who They Voted For, Where They Stand on Key Issues

Another example that took less than a minute to find (and a few minutes to read): Are feds Democrats or Republicans? Follow the money trail!

Example: Democrats Lead Ranks of Both Union and State Workers

• Prediction about Supreme Court: Brett Kavanaugh is neither a Nazi nor a fascist. There will be no earthshaking changes in the Republic.

If Roe v. Wade is eventually overturned, abortion will remain legal in most states. Some states will outlaw it. Some states will outlaw it, find that they don't like the results, and eventually legalize it again.

• @fenomas said:
    "Hollywood is controlled by the Jews" and "this study says N% of Hollywood producers are Jewish" are separate, indeed unrelated, claims. Surely even you see that?

I certainly wouldn't say that they are unrelated.

• Your claim was that the press, bureaucracy, etc. are controlled by the Democrats. Evidence that journalists tend to vote Dem does not support that claim. Is that not obvious to you?

• It does support the claim. It doesn't absolutely prove it, but it does support it.

It's easy to show that those institutions are majority Democrat or lean Democrat. If you want to show that despite this being true the Democrats don't actually control them, I believe the burden of proof shifts over to you. You will have to show, for example, that despite the rank and file being Democrat, their leadership is actually Republican. Good luck with that.

• That's utter nonsense. Most cops are white; do you go around claiming the police controlled by the whites?

If you want to claim the press is controlled by the Democrats, look for evidence of the press doing things they wouldn't do unless they were controlled by the Democrats. That's your burden of proof - there literally nothing else for it to be.

• @fenomas said:
    That's utter nonsense. Most cops are white; do you go around claiming the police controlled by the whites?

Well, yes, in most jurisdictions.

If you want to claim the press is controlled by the Democrats, look for evidence of the press doing things they wouldn't do unless they were controlled by the Democrats. That's your burden of proof - there literally nothing else for it to be.

That's even more intangible than counting heads.

• @Bill said:

@fenomas said:
    That's utter nonsense. Most cops are white; do you go around claiming the police controlled by the whites?

Well, yes, in most jurisdictions.

Neat! What's it like controlling the police?

That's even more intangible than counting heads.

Sure, but it's still the burden of proof for your claim.

Honestly, this isn't complicated. Imagine you work for a company with ten employees, and the other nine are all registered Democrats. If you claim your coworkers are likely to support Dem policies, that's clearly true. If you claim the same of your company, that's possible but not proven. If you claim your company is "controlled by the Democrats", you are a crazy person - nobody with any control over the Democratic party has ever heard of your company, and even if they had, and even if they wanted something from your company, there's no reason to imagine they'd get it.

The claim and the offered evidence have no connection.

• This can be construed as proof that people who are educated and well-informed tend to become liberal-leaning. Think cause/effect, not systemic bias.

• @Bill said:
    Fox News being number one doesn't reflect the party affiliation of the press; it reflects the affiliation of the viewers.

On the first page of the results from Googling "party affiliation of the press."

7 percent of reporters identify as Republican

Similar studies have shown the same thing for decades now.

The party affiliation of the viewers means that that small number of press-members has a larger influence. Which means that, for all intents and purposes, the press is not liberal.

Besides, we don't really care about the politics of individual reporters as much as the editorial control exercised by the papers leaders/owners/boards/etc. After all, if we want to go back in time a bit we would be complaining about the Hearst Newspapers, and how the editorial policies are influencing politics despite the efforts of reporters.

What my chart above shows is the editorial policies of each organization. If there were a way to combine it with the 'viewership power' that each website/network/newspaper had then we would have a more realistic view of bias in the press.