Random Discussions

Comments

• Holy crap its Weis!

Makes me wonder how many other people don't know there is something here.

• I just assumed no one liked us any more...

• edited January 2019

Well... this place has gone to hell...

In retaliation I present this earworm:

• Now that just isn't nice.

• If it's any consolation... I had it in my head when I went to bed last night.

• My kids think that is the funniest thing to play on Alexa.

• Did they ever discover Santa shark?

• Hey Clme! Cold enough for you??? :#

• edited January 2019

That's just stupid... :D

-17 F here today. I make it a point not to leave the house unless absolutely necessary.

• It went subzero here, too, and I haven't left the house. I probably won't tomorrow, either.

• edited February 2019

Quite a bit warmer now. The snow was melting fast today.

That said, this was at 7am on the 31st...

It was already warming up by then, I believe the low was -32. Its been getting lightly better each day since.

• Big rebound today... Forecast for tomorrow is the same...

• Hmmm, Pelham, Ontario. Looking it up, I see that it's close to the Welland Canal. You ever go over there to watch the ships?

When I was a kid, my parents and I stayed at a campground near the canal a couple of times, although it probably was closer to St. Catharines. It was surreal sitting at your campsite watching these huge ships go by.

(I looked on Google Maps to see if I could find the place, but none of the campgrounds look right. It was long enough ago, of course, that the place I remember could be long gone.)

• edited February 2019

@Bill said:
    Hmmm, Pelham, Ontario. Looking it up, I see that it's close to the Welland Canal. You ever go over there to watch the ships?

Yeah, sure... Not often (ships weren't my thing), but on occasion. I've been making a new website (http://www.wellandcanal.ca) with a friend of mine. He's been into the ships and ship photography since he was 10 (37-years). He has a massive photo collection (tens of thousands of slides and digital images); as does many of his friends... He (and his friends) have the pictures and I have the web development skills, so we've been developing this new site together since last fall.

I've taken a few of my own pictures over the years (http://www.wellandcanal.ca/ImageBrowse.aspx?SID=1), but being involved with the website has inspired me to get out next season and take some more...

When I was a kid, my parents and I stayed at a campground near the canal a couple of times, although it probably was closer to St. Catharines. It was surreal sitting at your campsite watching these huge ships go by.

(I looked on Google Maps to see if I could find the place, but none of the campgrounds look right. It was long enough ago, of course, that the place I remember could be long gone.)

I can't think of any camp grounds (past or present), in sight of the Canal, so I suspect it's long gone.

• edited February 2019

@Clme said:

@Bill said:
    The separation of children from parents didn't originate in the Trump administration. The idea was to separate children from adults in an effort to cut down on child abuse and rape. Of course, the press didn't care about any of that. They wanted to hit Trump with something, so they presented it as a policy of his administration intended as punitive cruelty toward criminal infiltrators.

Yes and no. Detention of some kind started in the 70s, for special cases. But even then they didn't separate children from their parents. The children that were held indefinitely arrived unaccompanied. There were originally a few family detention centers where parents and children were kept, but only one remained in 2009 after the others were shut down for deplorable conditions.

At one point in the mid-80s there was a major issue publicized where unaccompanied children were being kept in an overcrowded dilapidated structure (motel?) surrounded by chain-link. I forget the specifics of what horrors were in there, but the public outcry resulted in action by congress (the original Flores Settlement) to limit the amount of time that those types of facilities could be utilized.

After that, they did still use cages, but for the most part the children weren't kept indefinitely.

During the Obama administration there was a major outcry when the 'caravan of children' arrived. (There is that word again). Remember the news coverage showing children riding on top of freight trains coming into the U.S.? They were unaccompanied. They didn't have parents with them to be separated from. In order to try and keep within the limits of the Flores agreement and limit overcrowding, decision makers in Homeland Security began to take shortcuts in the adoption and fostering process. Suddenly it came to light that some children were being basically used as slave labor, and older ones were being used for sexual slavery. Obama took a big hit for that... but once again congress came together and passed reforms that were supposed to prevent THAT from happening again.

So now we have Trump and Jeff Sessions. Sessions and his staff look at the Flores agreement and say "Hey, it says we're allowed to separate the kids" but they never did the requisite paperwork to actually track the children in relation to their parents. So now not only are we still separating children, but we're basically saying "Oh, we aren't supposed to steal them anymore... but well, it can still happen when we don't bother filing any paperwork"

Trump then goes and files an executive order to stop 'separation' (despite the fact he could have just told Sessions to stop it) purely for PR. Its still happening. In fact, even when a judge orders them to put the children back with their parents they have to admit that they just plain won't be able to comply with over 10% of the cases because the children were too young to know their parents full contact information.

This is a moral failing. This is on us. We allowed this to happen.

We are still allowing this to happen.

Did I say 10% wouldn't be able to be reunited?

Oh, it is so much higher. Ever so goddamn much higher. We've moved beyond the "not being able to meet the July deadline" to "We won't be able to meet any deadline, and the kids are permanently broken now too".

DID TRUMP SAY NO MORE KIDS WERE TO BE SEPARATED BY EXECUTIVE ORDER?

Why yes he fucking did! Guess what tho? He lied. It should no longer be a surprise he lied. He is fucking ecstatic that brown children are suffering. Plus, now he can blame the departed Sessions for any flack he gets over the last few court orders regarding reuniting children. What flack you ask? Well, the flack that keeps getting overshadowed about how the Homeland Security department came out last week and told the judge that issued the reuniting order "Yeah... the kids are fucked. Sorry. Bye."

(I used quotes there, but that is a paraphrase).

For a man that values loyalty so much, Trump will turn on his loyalists like an abused pitbull. Also, much like an abused pitbull, he shouldn't be left alone with children.

• edited June 2019

So for about a week I spent most of my computer time doing work shit, and when I finally grabbed my own laptop and checked in here there were over 780 new user accounts and a few spam messages.

More shit has been coming out about how migrants (and their separated children) are being treated over the last few weeks though. I'm beginning to think that we will be seen asthe 'evil' country in some future history class during this time in our history. You know, in about 80 years when history textbooks stop getting edited for Texas schools.

• @Clme said:
    I'm beginning to think that we will be seen as the 'evil' country in some future history class during this time in our history. You know, in about 80 years when history textbooks stop getting edited for Texas schools.

My... Aren't you feeling optimistic today... Believing that the United States will develop some sort of self-awareness, and Texas will stop editing history in support of self-serving narratives.

• Hey, in three more generations the white people will be a major minority in Texas and there may be hope for them.

...although by that time the rest of the country may have designated portions of itself as 'white person refuge' in order to 'preserve white culture' and 'protect the babies from being aborted after they're born'.

I hate this timeline.

• edited June 2019

All of the fictional dystopian futures, depicted in American movies and television, are more fun that yours is. :expressionless:

Well, maybe not A Handmaid's Tale... That's pretty much bang-on what you just said.

• Several months ago, I was diagnosed with glaucoma. The eye drops I were prescribed also got rid of the frequent headaches that I'd had ever since I was a teenager.

• Great news on the headache front!

Not so good news on the glaucoma. Good luck keeping it at bay.

• 'However I ain't racist, watch the match half of it was me with me putting my hands in my pants.'

He added: 'Bullsh** not ar*** I know the true and I've already made appointment to speak to the police which I did so think what you like.'

So, what's a five-letter obscenity beginning with "ar"?

• My money is on "Arsed".

Not arsed, as in not to give a fuck.

• That looks like the best guess to me. I assume the quotation wasn't well punctuated and it should have been something like, "Bullshit. Not arsed. I know...."

• The quotation is from a Facebook post, punctuation is per the source.

My money is on "arby's".