Vaccines. Again.

When I sat down to type this I was livid. I had like 10 paragraphs in my head.

I looked up some numbers to verify. It was actually worse than I thought.

Polio in Afghanistan is looking pretty goddamn bad too. Polio in that whole region of the earth, for that matter. Major upward trend for the last few years instead of downward.

Anyway. I'm suddenly feeling way too tired to continue this. Maybe later.

Comments

• Yeah... but the thing is, this isn't only killing people who aren't being careful.

I mean, sure, its killing more of those people. But not only those people.

• The GOP can't allow Biden to be the president that gets covid under control. Better for some Americans to die to keep 2024 competitive. You can see the cut off between people who know the GOP is lying by who has the vaccine (fox big wigs, all the federal senators and congress members) and who keeps dieing (local AM radio wing nuts, state senators and congress members).

• @Clme said:
    I mean, sure, its killing more of those people. But not only those people.

Oh yeah, I totally feel bad for the innocent people getting caught up by it... All the kids getting sick because they are too young to get vaccinated. The small number of people dying of treatable diseases because the hospitals are full. This all awful.

Because it is so awful, I give no fuks about the unvaccinated who are sick and dying.

• edited September 2021

@filious said:
    The GOP can't allow Biden to be the president that gets covid under control. Better for some Americans to die to keep 2024 competitive. You can see the cut off between people who know the GOP is lying by who has the vaccine (fox big wigs, all the federal senators and congress members) and who keeps dieing (local AM radio wing nuts, state senators and congress members).

I was thinking about it this morning... The last best-guess I heard was, you needed 85% vaccination rate to reach heard immunity (and probably a booster at 6-months). I do not believe the United States will EVER reach that level of vaccination. Israel has had a new wave of infection, having fully vaccinated 63.1% of the population. We (in Canada) are at 69.3% of total population and we continue to deal with outbreaks. The United States currently sits at 51.3% fully vaccinated... Even if you throw in 10% for the number of people who caught COVID and have some level of immunity, it's a LONG way short.

I believe the US is going to be dealing with COVID for many years (decades?) to come.

Just to emphasize the scale of the problem in the US... Canada has had 1.54M infections (roughly 4.5% of the total population). The US has had 41M infections (roughly 12.2% of the population).

If this disease was any more deadly... I would vote the United States the least likely country in the world to survive it.

• They're bringing up Sweden again.

Which is funny. Because they bring it up as 'Hey look! No one in Sweden is sick anymore' while leaving out the high vaccination rate (coupled with high "natural" immunity rate).

Telling people to "do their own research" may work when it comes to checking if their candidate voted for a bill, but it sure as hell doesn't work for interpreting statistics or determining which medical papers have been peer reviewed and are using the same testing schemas.

• edited September 2021

I don't know why anyone would bring up Sweden. Their vaccination rate is only 61.2% (fully vaccinated). Their 7-day average is 1087 new cases per day; in a country of 10.23 million. That's only slightly better than Canada (when corrected for population). Sweden has more than double the number of new infections in Ontario (again... when corrected for population). Sweden isn't special.

• If you want to watch numbers... Portugal has (pretty much) the exact same population as Sweden. Portugal has 81.5% of the population fully vaccinated. The 7-day average is currently, 1090 (and falling) - again, nearly identical to Sweden. I'm curious to see where they are in 3-4 weeks from now; given the high vaccination rate.

• edited September 2021

Remember last year they were claiming that Sweden was not doing any social distancing and not doing any masking? Well, Sweden was actually doing those things, but just weren't locked down. But of course the types of people that latch on to stupid shit thought that was what a "lockdown" was?

Anyway, they had really high numbers in October-December. Well, when the highs from then are put on the same chart as the highs from this month, it looks like no one is sick at all... Especially when they put a chart that isn't adjusted for population up next to it!

• edited October 2021

Portugal has about 10.31 million people. It looks like they've hit a plateau for vaccination for now, unless/until they vaccinate children.

About 75 infections per day per million people:

Less than one death per day per million people:

• both my kids got their first shots this Saturday.

• Awesome. The places here have gotten shipments, but I haven't been able to set up an appointment for my kid yet.

• Daughter is old enough that she has had two Pfizers and has been back in highschool with still masking and spacing. Soon it'll be booster timing but I think her new phone has 5g so maybe she is ok.

My son is now eligible to get the vaccine. We are looking forward to getting back out there.

• I missed the first bulk sign-up, and I can't get off work to take the kid in to the drive-in clinics. However, its available now. Just gotta jump on the next scheduling.

• On the Pfizer booster I experienced a severe reaction that required Urgent Care intervention 3 days after the injection.

Photos of my ass were sent to medical professionals globally (shaved but one cheek.)

My bugout bag is ready.

Next time a pandemic strikes I am moving to xPoint and getting mad solar panels.

• That sucks. Whatever the reaction was I hope you're doing better!

I haven't gotten my booster yet, but I am about due for it.

My son's school scheduled vaccine clinics for the kids, which took care of my scheduling issue.... at first. My son got his first shot three days before thanksgiving. Unfortunately three weeks later he got sick with some bug from school. Then he caught pneumonia just as he was recovering and had to skip the 2nd shot.

For the pneumonia, we had two visits to the emergency room. The first was for a 105 fever, but they didn't catch the pneumonia on that one. They were trying to clear the rooms for the 'real' emergencies, so they sent us home after taking covid/flu/etc tests and giving him some Tylenol.

The second visit two days later he was much worse, and had a horrible cough. X-rays caught crud in his lungs, Blood Oxygen below 80%, etc... They held him for almost 12 hours and damn near kept him overnight.

So now I have to schedule his 2nd shot AND my booster. Which reminds me I should be online looking for the schedule at the drive-through clinic rather than reading this stuff, dammit.

For real though, hope you're doing well.

• got my booster yesterday. Took today off. No adverse reactions I just wanted to take a nap. The school district is going remote again, feels like deja vu.

• Got my booster Sunday... For whatever reason, I barely sleep after a shot. I would guess less than two hours Sunday night.

Slept well last night; back to normal today.

• Got my booster the week before Christmas. Felt a little feverish for a day or so. Decided to mix it up and layer a Moderna booster over my Pfizer doses. Also that's all the Wal Mart pharmacy had, and they were the only place I could get in before Christmas.

• @filious said:
    The GOP can't allow Biden to be the president that gets covid under control. Better for some Americans to die to keep 2024 competitive. You can see the cut off between people who know the GOP is lying by who has the vaccine (fox big wigs, all the federal senators and congress members) and who keeps dieing (local AM radio wing nuts, state senators and congress members).

Unfortunately, it looks like their strategy is to say that the rona never existed in the first place. You see, it was a hoax, put on by the radical left lead by George Soros who is controlled by the Rothschilds. Insert reference to the Protocols of the Elders of Zion Their stance will be that Biden spent trillions of dollars to limit our liberty and freedom.

And to think that these antisemites still want to have Isreal's baby after all their dog whistling

• @MrSelfdestruct said:
    Unfortunately, it looks like their strategy is to say that the rona never existed in the first place. You see, it was a hoax, put on by the radical left lead by George Soros who is controlled by the Rothschilds. Insert reference to the Protocols of the Elders of Zion Their stance will be that Biden spent trillions of dollars to limit our liberty and freedom.

And to think that these antisemites still want to have Isreal's baby after all their dog whistling

What, you mean the Fauci Flu? The Kung Flu?

Did you know that Russia has been finding virology labs in Ukraine that were probably funded by Hunter Biden? Its where they invented AIDS. I saw it on a YouTube video.
    /s

Anyway... Israel's far right has been instrumental in maintaining a modern day apartheid, and they love that. There may be some end-times rhetoric in there too, depending on which branch of the party we're talking about.

• @joshy said:
    Got my booster the week before Christmas. Felt a little feverish for a day or so. Decided to mix it up and layer a Moderna booster over my Pfizer doses. Also that's all the Wal Mart pharmacy had, and they were the only place I could get in before Christmas.

Had my booster in February. I layered the Pfizer over my Moderna doses.

I had a choice, and decided to take a chance with those newspaper articles that suggested mixing-and-matching may offer a slight advantage. (like... 1% better? Either way). :smile: