This is not Ukraine

So why are we being invaded by the got-dammmed commies?

Comments

• OMG The Russkies are attacking!

• Son of a bitch. I go away for... uh...

(counts)

Shit. Ok. I've been away too long.

• We're actually hit by them several days a week. But normally they just create sleeper accounts that they plan to activate later, and I have between one and 12 weeks to delete them before they reactivate and spam the fuck out of the forum. The second most common thing they do is put links to shit in their profiles just for search engine crawlers.

Apparently whoever has set their account creation bot up here has changed tactics and has started creating posts immediately. Which happened to occur during a period when I didn't check the forum for over a week... which doesn't actually happen that often, so good timing on their part.

(Did anyone run any of the posts through translate? I forgot to do that before I deleted any of them).

• Given the timing, I assumed they were making the case for Russia's totally legitimate intervention in the neo-Nazi led Ukraine. I wasn't sure of the language, and didn't take the time to translate, however.

• I also hoped they'd be some kind of agitprop, but they were all about SEO and getting more google ad revenue.

• @Rufus said:
    Given the timing, I assumed they were making the case for Russia's totally legitimate intervention in the neo-Nazi led Ukraine. I wasn't sure of the language, and didn't take the time to translate, however.

I bet they're reserving most of that for social media and news/politics comment sections.

But there was always that chance that we were seen as important enough to spend that state money on. :)

• @fenomas said:
    I also hoped they'd be some kind of agitprop, but they were all about SEO and getting more google ad revenue.

Thanks.

• I save the headlines, in case someone wants to OCR and then translate

• Thanks! I could only extract a couple with the crappy tool I tried to use but I pasted the translate below.

Fen was right on:

• Not a single fake account created since March 9th.

I guess there are higher priorities out there right now. :)

• It took 3 weeks, but the fake accounts are back. :)

• edited April 2022

Holy-crap, I had to go to page 5, to get to a real post!

• I suddenly have an urge to go on a diet, in Portuguese.

• There was only like 6 accounts posting, but wow were they prolific!

• Best Ruskie offensive yet! That was like a month where I couldn't even log in.

• @joshy said:
    Best Ruskie offensive yet! That was like a month where I couldn't even log in.

I notified eod at some point in June. I checked about once a week, and noticed that the site was working again on August 1st. Took me a few days (working only 10 minutes a day) to clean up all the spam and fake accounts that were still there. :(

• edited August 2022

While I rarely post, I lurk the site pretty much daily, hoping for a resurgence - even if it's just posts about grandkids at this point.

• Nice to see it back... I'd hate to see it die like that. :(

• edited August 2022

Its still hard to think of most of the (current and former) posters here as parents... but yeah. We're only a couple years from seeing posts about grandkids. Shit.

• @Rufus said:
    Nice to see it back... I'd hate to see it die like that. :(

For it to be truly on-brand it would have to die because of something stupid I did.

• It's a shame that the site came back right at a time when there's nothing interesting going on in politics for us to debate about.

• edited August 2022

@fenomas said:
    It's a shame that the site came back right at a time when there's nothing interesting going on in politics for us to debate about.

{laugh emoji}

Unrelated, but perhaps interesting to you... While debating gun rights with some guy on-line; would you believe that he tried to reference the Shinzo Abe shooting as proof that strict gun laws don't work?

I mean... Japan, a country of 125.8 million people, has fewer than 10 gun-deaths per year... but, 'remember that one politician guy who got shot!' Yeah, total failure.

• Again? Maybe we should all have Admin access to delete these posts? I promise not to ban Bill (much).

• Probably wouldn't be the worst idea to at least add a moderator or two. I'll have to hit up @eod and see about getting that done.

The amusing thing to me is that there has been captcha on the account creation page. Presumably people are really sitting there manually creating these accounts and clicking on boxes with stop lights in them (assuming there isn't an easily bypass-able exploit, of course).

This run was 55 accounts added over the course of three days, all with a "man-mails.c0m" email address.